Home Depot now has its own ship. That’s an ominous sign

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Home Depot now has its own ship. That’s an ominous sign

Post by reno »

One of America’s largest retailers, Home Depot (NYSE: HD), has just reserved a ship for its sole use. The move underscores just how tight trans-Pacific capacity has become and how worried retailers are about getting goods on shelves at any cost.
A Home Depot spokesperson confirmed the CNBC report but declined to offer additional details to American Shipper, such as the ship’s name, the duration of its use and whether Home Depot is working with a freight forwarder intermediary.

A company the size of Home Depot has high-volume long-term contracts with ocean carriers at lower rates than smaller shippers. However, carriers have been unable to fully meet contract commitments due to extreme congestion, and simultaneously, retail inventory-to-sales ratios remain historically low. Home Depot’s decision confirms that costly workarounds are now on the table.
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/home- ... inous-sign

I understand there not the only retailer getting there own freighter just to haul goods for them from china .and to get empty containers back to be refilled . this has to be a major investment even for company as large as home depot. only a guess by me but I'd place bets amazon and walmart are both working on or completed the same type of arrangements .