Two good friends in the hospital with Covid...

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Two good friends in the hospital with Covid...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just heard from my contractor who who built our house, and is currently building us an investment home. He's been in the hospital a week with Covid, hoping to go home next week. His primary contractor also has it and just got out of the hospital. He's on oxygen at home and needs bed rest for for at least 2 weeks. Both good friends, but Covid deniers, neither got the vaccine, and never took much in the way of precautions.

Get your shot, people.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Two good friends in the hospital with Covid...

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I don't get it. I've been getting flu shots every year since I had my spleen removed back in 1986. As soon as I was able to get the shot I did, and followed up with another shot 4 weeks later. Same with my wife and my father-in-law is is living with us.

Only my son and younger daughter got there shots. My middle daughter refuses to get hers, and the same with her husband. Both my wife and I tried to convince them otherwise, but no cigar.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

we got are shots .wife was able to get her shots right in are club house when they offer them. i was signed up but turned away do to not being old enough .suck 2 as I was just a couple of weeks of that magic 65 . so we went to Walgreen's and fascinated about week after my birthday and 4 weeks later got my 2nd . now that my daughter has had the baby 9 weeks old now . she gotten her shots and son in law to. me last shot we got had the shingle shot to . now its time for me to go back and get my 2nd shingle shot and pneumonia shots figure is one arm going to hurt . why not make both arms hurt at the same time :)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

An online friend at BlueNews forums also told me today that his wife has it bad. :(

Both had their shots, and both have still been careful afterwards because she is immuno-compromised due to cancer treatments. That's the problem, immuno-compromised people can still get it easily because they can't make enough anti-bodies.

I go without mask for the most part, except at doctors offices (whether required or not), and I have no issue wearing it at any business that requests it. But I still keep my distance in lines.

On my trip down to South Florida 2 weeks ago, I didn't like the major crowds at the Turnpike plazas, so I masked up and got in and out of the bathroom my one stop as quick as possible.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

If your compromised due to cancer treatments, you really should be avoiding people as much as possible. Avoid traveling also.
darcy

Post by darcy »

I'm sorry to hear about your two friends, FP,,, hope they recover doably,,.

I don't understand those who refuse to get the shots,, I reckon many wonder what effect it'll have down the line,,, but there might not be a "down the line" for those who don't,,.

I'm as careful now as I was before getting vaccinated.

My brother is fighting a cancer that he will never beat,,, he was vaccinated way after me,, I just don't understand it,, :(
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My contractor is still in hospital. Was in ICU. Expecting to be released tomorrow for bed rest at home. He's around my age - 63. He was a total covid denier. Will be curious to see he's changed his mind.

His primary contractor/site manager, who's my contact person and I use him for remodeling jobs, he's feeling a lot better after getting released from hospital a week ago and resting at home a week. I'm guessing he's early to mid 50s. He's back to work today, mostly supervising. He's here this morning going over some some things with my wife on the investment home we're building. He looks good. Doesn't seem out of breath, but he has oxygen in the car in case he needs it.

My housekeeper's 22 year old (lives with them) has been sick a week with what they thought was a cold/fever, and his employer had him tested before allowing him back, and he has it. So she and her husband are both in quarantine for another week along with him. They have no symptoms. Not sure if they are vaccinated. I think she is for work, and he had surgery on his knee 2 months ago and I'm pretty sure they require vaccination before surgery here.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

just got off the phone with a very good friend. he said his car club went out for dinner the other night. him and his girlfriend are counting there blessings today . they decided not to join the group do to the noise in the place . turned out 6 member got covid and 2 are in the hospital in ruff shape . this is in part why me and the wife are still not going any place. where there large groups of people. even do we both have had are vaccinations. figure better safe then sorry. in fact yesterday I got my 2nd shingle shot and a Pneumonia vaccine. not feeling the best today .just hanging low and napping ..
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

When the wife and I go out to eat, we eat outside. Looks like I'll have to start wearing my mask again even though I had 2 shots back in March/April.
darcy

Post by darcy »

I'm glad they're doing better, FP.

There are 2 places I don't wear a mask,,, when I'm out in the open air for a short stroll with my rollater , and our apartment. That's it.
If I go down 2 flights for the mail, the mask goes on, and I sanitize my hands when I'm back in my apartment.

Had a Dr's appointment today,, patients in waiting room wore masks, but there was no 6-ft distancing , where previously there was tape across seats you couldn't occupy. It was not overcrowded, tho.

Dr added a 2nd med for my asthma. So let's see,, covid > lungs > 2 meds. Yeah,, don't reckon I'm up for taking risks. I'll stick to what I'm doing.

I only saw a blurb on news maybe a week ago,,, is it true they are now researching that those who received Pfizer may* require a 3rd shot??
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I have not gotten the shots. I've always been in good, solid health and my immune system has always held up so I don't want to have something that's still experimental in me. I just don't trust Big Pharma when it comes to anything new. There's a reason why vaccines take some 10yrs to be approved. We had Covid run through our family. My wife and daughter basically had colds/fever. I never experienced a single symptom. I never get the flu shot and the one time I got it, it was because my daughter's godmother is a pharmacist and my daughter was a newborn. OMG, I got sick like 3 times. That's outside of the norm for me. I've never taken it again in the last 7yrs and I don't get sick like my wife and daughter do.

I'm sure genetics play a part. My parents are both in their mid-70s and they also are pretty strong, health-wise. They take more precautions these days but they pretty much don't get sick. If you're compromised in some way, then I see the benefits and it's a calculated risk. I do have a problem though with our govt trying to push really young kids into getting the vaccine despite them having the highest survival rate.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Umm.. no one is recommending "really young" children get the covid shot yet, depending how you define "very young":
CDC recommends everyone 12 years and older should get a COVID-19 vaccination to help protect against COVID-19
As they continue testing, they slowly lower the age. It's not like vaccines are a new technology. We know how these things work. The main concern is allergic reactions.

339 million people in the US (3.76 billion world wide) have been vaccinated. It's 'experimental' in name only. None of us have grown 3rd arms, although I do like my new government microchip. I can open my car door and start the engine without a key fob now ;)

You do what you feel is best for you, but bragging that you have great immunity isn't going to help you if you get a large viral dose.

Followup on my housekeeper and her husband: Their 22 year old son ended up infecting them both (in their early 40s). They never got the shots. Her husband believes that covid is a "big lie". Mandatory quarantine for 10 days after symptoms stop. She's been sick as a dog - it's hit her hard. Doesn't want to go to the hospital if she doesn't have to.

Her business is suffering because they can't work. She has another crew that cleans businesses and they're not affected because she hasn't been in person with them since she was exposed, but she and her husband do most of the residential jobs which was their original business before they expanded. A free shot would have prevented this (case in point for all those people who keep ranting that we need to keep the economy open - yeah well a majority of people getting the shot would sure help with that). I'm also a bit pissed off at her because she told me they HAD had their shots and I consider her a close friend, and they have been maskless the last couple of times they've been here. They know I'm concerned about my 98 year old Dad. Even though he's had his shot, I'm being very careful not to needlessly expose him to any risk.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I understand that everyone is different. I am not a fan of experimental vaccines being injected into us. Yes, we know how they work but look at other items that have been pulled years later. We never know until we have real data. If I feel that my body can fight it off on its own, that should be my choice. I don't like that some people out there are insisting we take it, wanting to make it mandatory. No thanks.
You can't say "my body, my choice" then try to force everyone to inject stuff into their body that has not had the typical trial period. We might get lucky and we might not. Other vaccines have been around for decades. That's a proven track record.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything but we should still have a right to choose what we put in our bodies. That's all. Of course the media loves to sensationalize things. Reality is that the survival rate is very high. We only hear about the cases where people get really sick yet millions experience nothing at all. The flu shot messed me up. I'll pass on the C-19 vaccine. Again, if you're compromised, then do it since the odds are in your favor and I'm sure the over 6,000 people that have died from it thought they'd be fine. Yeah, that's a small # but I could argue that it could have been much closer to zero if it had been given real time to be tested.
------------------------------------------