cable marking

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

cable marking

Post by reno »

feel kind of dumb asking this question .
anyone know of any component to cable stickers avail. for marking them easy for someone to figure out cable A plug's into slot a . like Hdmi cable marked 1 go into slot 1 on a DVD player .and cable 2 plugs into slot 2 on the same unit even do we all know its the power cord in slot 2. we have some old folks and not so old folks here. who are completely clueless if there electronic wires come loose . it drive my nuts and make it so much easier if we could add premade decals on there cables and the back of the items. tv's ,dvd players ,computers even small kitchen appliances that the plugs aren't hard wired in them . welcome to a 55 and older community handyman's nightmare's life. :bang
we can only guess how much money the geek squad. makes off old folks rehooking up cables on old folks stuff . we been here just 4 years now in a 55 and older community now and at least 2-4 time a year. we get that type of service call .bad thing is im in a gated community . its really hard for me to charge them for a 2 min service call. we see why they have a flat rate min for a home visit. but its really hard for me to charge them when there neighbors. for bs call outs like this.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: cable marking

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I would be interested in this also. In the back of my 70's stereo setup, I have so many cables because it's a quad setup. I have the receiver, the quad amp, turntable, quad converter, cassette deck, CD player, and reel to reel deck.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Good old fashioned wire markers is what I've used. Put a marker on the cable, and one above the jack it goes to:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072SVZKQ5/

I also use a Brother P-Touch label maker for more descriptive labels. It has a cable flag mode where it prints the same thing on both ends of the label, and then you wrap it around the cable and stick it to itself. I own one of these which has served me well for years:
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-PTH110-P ... B01J3WQ360

I'll post some photos.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Some examples around my house. I'm rather OCD about labeling wires:

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

thanks FP -order a new one off ebay for less then Amazon with one extra cartage .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah I got mine at Sam's Club several years ago with three cartridges as a bundle for a good price.

My only gripe is that the way it's designed, you waste a LOT of blank tape between labels. If you're going to print a lot of them it's better to print them as one long label with spaces between them, and then cut them with scissors.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:32 pm My only gripe is that the way it's designed, you waste a LOT of blank tape between labels. If you're going to print a lot of them it's better to print them as one long label with spaces between them, and then cut them with scissors.
I hate that too. I always do that then hit the feed to cut button then like 3 minuets later need another label.