Took a spill mountain biking last Sunday.

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Took a spill mountain biking last Sunday.

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Took a bad fall mountain biking sunday. Landed hard on my left hip. I can still walk (albeit with pain - mostly hamstring) and I biked 3 miles back to the car with no problem. Saw the doctor today who confirmed nothing likely broken, but having an MRI done tomorrow to see if there's any tendon damage. GROWING OLD SUCKS.

May need to consider giving up on the dirt trails.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: Took a spill mountain biking last Sunday.

Post by Err »

Heal Up FP.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

it sucks getting old takes a lot longer to heal. also thing you did before and never thought twice about doing bite you . these days I live it seems on pain pills and muscle relaxers pills. all over the counter meds like aspirin and Ben Gay or IcyHot :(
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah it sucks getting old. I gave up riding dirt bikes in my mid 50's. Doc said that since I'm on blood thinners, it's not a very good idea to go dirt bike riding. A bad fall or other accident can be fatal.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yeah, aging sucks and it's cruel! I miss being able to do whatever I wanted and my body healing in record time. Fell better soon.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I can do my full 20 minute yoga stretch this morning without agony, so that's promising. Most painful thing was getting up off the mat. Crotch and left hamstring sore as hell when I walk though.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Got my MRI done thurday night (rush job by paying out of pocket instead of going through insurance - not as expensive as people think - it only cost me $230. Got the results the next day.

Well is could have been worse. Grade 1 tear (micro tearing) of the three inside hip muscles. Nothing that should require surgery. Also small hairline fracture of the public bone, but that's no big deal. That's a big bone, and it'll heal. No damage to the hip socket which was my big concern.

Doctor wants me to try to rest it (he knows how active I am, so he rolled his eyes for effect). Doing laser therapy to promote healing and alternating cold packs and heating pads. Can start some physical therapy in a week.

Been there before. Not my first rodeo. I had a grade 1 muscle tear of the right hamstring 11 years ago from falling off a ladder. Just takes time to heal.

I can walk, but I look like Stumpy from the old John Wayne movies. Pain is manageable. Just taking Aleve. Fortunately, sitting and sleeping doesn't hurt it. I had serious issues with sleeping when I tore that hamstring 11 years ago.

Adjusting my workout routine to avoid aggravating it. No stationary bike or treadmill for now. More upper body. Continuing morning yoga stretch routine, but skipping the routines that twist the hip joints for now.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Good to hear.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

semi Great news FP. glad it's just going to take time to heal. very good to hear your able to control pain with just Aleve. we keep a stash of happy pills available for really bad times we get now and again from doing construction. these days around my gated community . mostly live on aspirin daily these days. still do have those work days were we need a bit more meds for the pain.