First look at Ameca , most advanced humanoid robot

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

First look at Ameca , most advanced humanoid robot

Post by Executioner »

Just think of what robots will look like in just 20 years.

The population of humanoid robots on Earth continues to grow unabated. Everybody and their IT person has seen Boston Dynamics’ Atlas robot, for example. And what’s going on with bipedal bots at Caltech would make a T-1000 sit up and take notice. But nothing—as far as we know—appears to be more realistic than Engineered Arts’ new robot, Ameca. Say hello to Ameca in the video below. Before planning your escape route.

Engineered Arts, “the UK’s leading designer and manufacturer of humanoid entertainment robots,” recently introduced Ameca to the internet. Unsurprisingly, net denizens everywhere lost their skull-bound wetware computers over the bot. Because who wouldn’t?

The above video is brief, but Engineered Arts gives us enough of a taste of Ameca to want a lot more. And also, a lot less. The humanoid robot, which doesn’t have much faux skin and musculature apart from what’s on its face and hands, is stunningly realistic. Not only are the robot’s movements exceptionally fluid, but its face also seems totally natural. Skipping across the uncanny valley that so many robots fall into.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: First look at Ameca , most advanced humanoid robot

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Wow, that's actually the best facial expressions I've ever seen on a robot, even counting movies. It didn't trigger the uncanny valley reflex in me at all.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Its the speed of the eye movement that prevents it from the uncanny valley.... that and the teeth look good. The blinking is still a bit slow but I agree its not offensive to look at.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Scary. When do we get our new iRobots? LOL
------------------------------------------