At The Brink Podcast - Podcast about humanity’s most terrible weapon, and the stories of those who shaped its history

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

At The Brink Podcast - Podcast about humanity’s most terrible weapon, and the stories of those who shaped its history

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Excellent podcast BTW. I'm on episode 4 now.

Episode 3 was a fascinating history about the project to de-nuke all the breakaway republics after the fall of the USSR, with interviews of the key players. Ironically the best scientists at the time to deal with giving advice on the disposal and decommissioning of nuclear, chemical and bio weapons to the former USSR republics who were stuck with, and didn't know how to properly secure them, were mostly women. The military liaisons with those countries didn't know what to make of that at first. They initially assumed the women were prostitutes for the American representatives, or spies who were intended to seduce them. It took them a long time to take them seriously.

Episode 2 was really interesting: more detail than I've ever heard before about how the nuclear football works. 7 minutes. That's how long the President has to decide to launch all our ICBMs, in response to a surprise attack. Think about that. I can't make up my mind on what to eat in 7 minutes, and the president has to decide in that time whether to end civilization as we know it.

https://atthebrink.org/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "