gas cost

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

gas cost

Post by reno »

did a road trip to Georgia near Atlanta this past week for 3 days . gas was $3.79 gallon but here in Florida the cost was $4.49 a gallon . I was amazed how much traffic there was still on I-75 . I also was amazed how good my millage was in my gmc Acadia with the v6 around 34 -35 mpg (just a guess) and im a lead foot and no cruise control.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: gas cost

Post by Executioner »

I just filled up my 2016 Subaru Outback at our local Costco: $5.39. Just 10 days ago, I filled up my wife's car, and it was $4.99. WTF?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

reno wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:00 pm did a road trip to Georgia near Atlanta this past week for 3 days . gas was $3.79 gallon but here in Florida the cost was $4.49 a gallon . I was amazed how much traffic there was still on I-75 . I also was amazed how good my millage was in my gmc Acadia with the v6 around 34 -35 mpg (just a guess) and im a lead foot and no cruise control.
Not surprised. When I would drive up to North Florida, I remember seeing a huge price drop per gallon when crossing into GA. Gas has always been cheaper there so people in parts of North FL will sometimes find reasons to drive up to GA and pick up cheaper fuel. I almost moved to Tallahassee and was going to take a job in South GA.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Gas pricing is weird. When I worked in the audio visual industry in the 80s, I'd do deliveries to Marco Island (way, way southern end of the state). The price of gas there was always substantially cheaper than Miami, which didn't make sense since there was nowhere nearby to truck it from. I even confirmed with the gas station owner I always used down there, that they get their gas from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, like everyone does in South Florida.

Sure some of that may be a difference in county taxes, but then there's this:

You know where the most expensive gas was at that time (probably still is)? The Shell station that was right outside the gate at Port Everglades. The truck LITERALLY only had to drive from the storage depot in the port and out the gate. That station was always substantially more expensive than any other gas station in Fort Lauderdale or anywhere else in South Florida.

Makes no sense.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I think a lot of it is also location but not proximity to the refineries but location regarding the amount of vehicle traffic. A high school friend of mine's father always owned a Chevron for as long as I can remember until he recently sold it. He said it was based on the number of cars they'd have driving by. If you had a lot of traffic, you could charge a little more and get away with it because of the volume of vehicles. Now, his was al older station that actually had a mechanic (his other son) and he told me the gas profit was decent but it was the auto repairs that really made the money there. He said Chevron wanted to get away from that and wanted him to close down the repair shop so he could instead turn it into a convenience store. He never wanted to do that and he'd argue with Chevron over it for years.

He told me he didn't care if they decided to not sell him gas anymore because he'd just call up another provider and they'd help pay to re-brand the station. LOL

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I know California is it's own special case. Yes, they have very high gas taxes, but that's only half of it. They are what's known as a "Fuel Island". There is not enough locally produced oil for their refineries to make enough gasoline, and there are no interstate pipelines (can't run pipes across the Rockies), so 2/3 of their oil is imported either via truck or ship which costs more. They import a lot via ship from pacific countries, which included Russia before the war. That 3% of oil that we imported from Russia was all California.

Hawaii has a similar problem, but they're geographically closer to their oil suppliers.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

And yet the last time I was in California, I saw countless oil pumps so what the hell happened??

I'm guessing the idiots out there probably argued to have all of those pumps shut down because...........why not?

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Something something CANCER something California.
reno

Post by reno »

im wonder why this year its not being blamed on .the summer /winter blend switch over and higher cost of additives .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And yet the last time I was in California, I saw countless oil pumps so what the hell happened??

I'm guessing the idiots out there probably argued to have all of those pumps shut down because...........why not?
Gas pumps? You mean gas wells? California does not have enough wells to supply it's refineries. It hasn't for decades. It imports almost 70% of it's oil via ships. Alaska is part of that, but Alaska alone is not enough:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Aha, this is what I was looking for. Shows the amount of oil imported both foreign and from Alaska going back to 1982. I'm curious about the falloff from Alaska, though.

reno

Post by reno »

here one that will make are heads spin even more then normal in my posts !
we like to see a graph of how much oil will be needed. to keep are cars going if things stayed as they are today. without all the electric cars coming to market.
then we like to see a graph of how much oil. will be needed to produce those electric they will produce by 2025.
then we like to see on this same graph. how much oil will be needed to build these extra power plants to charge all these electric cars.
then we like to see on the same graph . how much oil will be needed to build and maintain the equipment and install the solar fields that will help charge these electric cars.
then on this same graph how much oil would be used if didn't build build all these electric cars and extra power supply's needed to charge them.

make one wonder what this chart would look like ?

then a chart as to how much it really cost to dispose of all those used battery's these electric cars use. when they cant be recharged any more.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I remember when I first started to drive in 1973, and they were saying that gas would only be around for another 20 years until it's all exhausted. Considering how many people around the world now drive, I'm surprised that we are still getting lots of oil out of the ground. There is even a countdown on what is left: 47 years: https://www.worldometers.info/oil/
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:29 pm
Gas pumps? You mean gas wells? California does not have enough wells to supply it's refineries. It hasn't for decades. It imports almost 70% of it's oil via ships. Alaska is part of that, but Alaska alone is not enough:

No, I said oil pumps. Like these....

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Problem is CA has had a permanent moratorium on new pumps for some time now so they're not going to produce anything more.
They used to produce just over 30% of this country's oil. Not any more.

Hell, I read they even had a pump at the Beverly Hills High School, hidden inside of some tower that they painted with flowers, to hide the pump. LOL