How a Phoenix record store owner set the audiophile world on fire

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

How a Phoenix record store owner set the audiophile world on fire

Post by FlyingPenguin »

MoFi claimed its expensive (vinyl) reissues were purely analog reproductions. It had been deceiving its customer base for years.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/20 ... l-scandal/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: How a Phoenix record store owner set the audiophile world on fire

Post by Pugsley »

Why am I not surprised. The recording industry is shit and has shitty mastering engineers. There are few left in the industry that I have any respect for.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I have a few MoFi albums and they do sound great but I smell a class action lawsuit. Honestly, if you can find a Very Good to Near Mint recording of the original issue, you'll probably be more that happy with it.

Most modern mastering is crap. I buy a lot of music and it's rare to hear something that's not compressed for the sake of sounding louder.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I don't think I would ever buy a new vinyl LP in today's market after reading that.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The quality on these is excellent. The digital step saves wear on precious tape masters that get a little worn each time they are played. We're not talking about normal MP3 digital here. This is a RAW format, super high resolution digital master recording, made from the original tape master.

The mistake here was the company failing to disclose this.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "