Remembering Louise Fletcher, 1934 – 2022

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Remembering Louise Fletcher, 1934 – 2022

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Born July 22, 1934, in Birmingham, Alabama, Fletcher’s career began in the late '50s, with appearances in shows such as Maverick and The Untouchables. Her performance in the 1974 Robert Altman film Thieves Like Us drew the attention of director Miloš Forman for a role in the 1975 film, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. For her portrayal of Nurse Ratched, Fletcher won an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, and a Golden Globe, making her the third woman in history to win all three awards for a single performance.

Fletcher first appeared on Deep Space Nine in the first season finale, setting up her multi-season journey as Winn Adami. Her character was key to the show’s ultimate endgame set up in the series finale, “What You Leave Behind.” Over the course of 14 episodes, Fletcher delivered a nuanced portrait of an ambitious woman who was willing to do whatever it took to gain and maintain power, becoming a fan-favorite villain
I actually really respect her performance in the movie Brainstorm. Her character elevated that movie, and I still think her death scene was a fantastic piece of acting. That movie still holds up for me. I always liked the way they showed the progression of the brain recording technology from an early, kludgy prototype, through various iteratations, to a final, polished product. I also always appreciated that they went to so much effort to create a holographic tape recording medium, that showed how much data storage was necessary (of course, they then completely up ended that by sending brain recordings over a 300 baud accoustic coupler modem).

Rest in peace Kai Winn.

https://www.startrek.com/news/rememberi ... e-fletcher
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "