For those living in Florida

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

For those living in Florida

Post by Executioner »

I hope you guys are not impacted greatly from this storm. Looks pretty nasty with winds over 100mph. Bob - I know you live in the middle of Florida, but it looks like you will be hit by the storm. The coastal areas will be hit with high wave surges. Stay save guys.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: For those living in Florida

Post by reno »

Executioner - thanks the wife and I look like we are just on the outskirts of this storm . it was just on the news in fort Myers the storm now has gusts of up to 190 mph . im 30 miles north of Tampa and like 120 miles from Fort Myers . they still say we will get rain and a lot over the next 2 days .and wind gust up to 65 -75 mph .just like a tropical storm . we can only pray for the people who are south of us . we have a friend in st pete and just got word he has already lost power . FP you be safe we see it looking like it will head your way :( prayer for the other members here in Florida stay safe .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm north of reno. Looks like it's going to stay just south of us as well. Latest storm track has us on the edge of the expected path bubble.

I feel better being on the left side of the storm, and we're all probably better off with the storm cutting across the state and losing energy. If it had continued up the west coast, if would have done massive damage.

We're all buttoned up down here. All our houses are shuttered.

Going to find out how long my generator will run off a 500 gallon propane tank. The company that installed the generator says I might get 5 days out of it, maybe six if I limit my power use. The tank is not full, but close to it. I always fill it before hurricane season.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well no major wind here yet, and yet Xfinity has gone down three times for around 5 minutes at a time, and Verizon's bandwidth is crap. I'm getting a good 10 Mbps upload, but download is an awful .2 Mbps, even with 4 bars. I'm guessing the local network is overloaded.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno

Post by reno »

we not lost any power or cable today but were all underground in my community . winds are up to about 25 mph gusting to 35 right now . only about 1 inch of rain today so far.
72°F°C
Precipitation: 87%
Humidity: 88%
Wind: 26 mph
Hudson, FL 34669
Wednesday 8:00 PM
Wind and rain
reno

Post by reno »

Bob - FP bunker down my last report it looks like IAN heading your way and still a very strong storm :(
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Even Orlando is now on the far left edge and we're out of it entirely now. We haven't seen anything over 30 MPH winds so far.

NOAA map indicates we should be getting 60 MPH winds later tonight, but even that is not too bad.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

All over here, just drizzling. Don't think we ever got anything over 50 MPH gusts. No damage at my house. Will check the others later. Never lost power. Glad we were on the left side instead of the right.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yahoo had several pictures posted of the damage.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hurricane-ia ... 50134.html
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm reminded of some idiot I talked to last week, who asked why Puerto Rico took so much damage, when that doesn't seem to happen here.

reno

Post by reno »

this was a friend post on facebook and is was about 6-10 miles inland -
Well the hurricane came and for the most part (i hope)is gone. we’re safe and sound in the house. It’s still drizzling and windy out, but much better than before. No damage to the windows or doors. Not sure about the roof yet. our electricity is out and our water. But we have a small generator and will be just fine. We totally lost our outdoor lanai and our tiki hut. They just came tumbling down! We also lost several of our beautiful fruit trees. We think, although we don’t know yet, that the winds peaked at about 150 miles an hour. There was a period of time when I believe we were in what was close to the eye of the storm. It suddenly got much clearer and brighter and less windy. Then it all started again. All this went on for about 12 hours! Long day, but we’re OK and grateful to be alive and it seems that all of the people we love in the neighborhood are fine also. We do know there are probably many people in Cape Coral, who were already in flood zones, that experienced a storm surge with flooding. gratefully our block was not among them.Gotta love Florida.
we have friends parrish FL. we still not heard from and hope it just do to no power or cell towers .