no see-ums

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

no see-ums

Post by reno »

tuff day today I got lambasted by these dam things today .talking hundreds of bites clean out a clients gutters :(
Officially called Ceratopogonidae, no see ums, also known as biting midges, sandflies, punkies and sand gnats, are small flies usually between one and three millimeters long. They’re known to feed on the blood of humans and animals, leaving itchy, uncomfortable bite marks on the skin. True to their name, they’re difficult to spot, but you’ll definitely notice their presence if you have the misfortune of being bitten by them.

More severe than mosquito bites, no see um bites look like small clusters of red dots on the skin. Over time, they might expand into large, raised welts that can stay on the skin for as long as two weeks.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: no see-ums

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I hate these bugs as much as I hate mosquitos. Here in Woodland, they start showing up in April. The good thing is they last only about 6-8 weeks.