eyeglasses ?

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

eyeglasses ?

Post by reno »

where do you shop for eye glasses ? went to Lenscrafts yesterday we ran out of there when they gave me a price even with there sale discount price . yes we wanted no-line Bifocals and Transitions lens but at $800 after discount is crazy ! not counting the cost for the eye exam. talk about mark up . think we had sucker or deep pockets tag on my back . (for just one pair of glasses )
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: eyeglasses ?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

About right for progressive transitions. I buy new progressives once every 4 years or so, and usually spend around $800.

They're at the mercy of the lens maker, and the cost of the Varilux progressive transition lenses HAVE gone up a bit.

I just ordered new glasses last month and looking at my receipt they're $900 along with the $20 copay for the exam. The frames (high end titanium ones) were $265 but they gave be a $53 discount.

The Varilux lenses themselves are the big ticket item at $495 + $144 for the anti-glare (I always get anti-scratch & anti glare which adds to the cost), but they gave me a discount that covers the anti-glare cost.

That includes a 2 year protection plan, which I've used before. If I scratch them, or break them, they replace them for free.

Now, my receipt says that the actual full cost would have been $1300, but my insurance is picking up $410

Now you can save some money if you re-use one of your old frames, assuming they're in good shape. Most stores will let you do that, especially if you bought them there originally. I did that with my last pair - I re-used my 2016 frames in 2020 because they were so comfortable. They finally broke a few months ago, and I'm on my backup pair which are from 2013, which still do a good job, until the new ones come in.

My eyeglass place is a local mom & pop, but they were recently bought out by a national company called MyEyeDoc. Still the same doctor and staff I've known for 25 years though.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: eyeglasses ?

Post by reno »

ended up at opti-mart getting just what we needed and about 1/2 the price -best part was turn out we had optical coverage. so no out of pocket except what we spent for the exam. was about to use Eyebuydirect.com online then it been totally out of my pocket. glad we did a bit more checking and called my heathcare provider when we read a code on my insurance card !
will never use LensCrafts again they lie right out. also it was funny when we seen of of there staff members .walking around in fuzzy house slippers . they were multi color and all we could think of we were in Wallyworld. !!!!