Best Buy’s Geek Squad hit by mass layoffs this week

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Best Buy’s Geek Squad hit by mass layoffs this week

Post by reno »

Best Buy conducted mass layoffs affecting employees at its retail stores just last spring, and as The Verge reports, CEO Corie Barry indicated during the company’s February earnings call that more layoffs were coming in 2024 as Best Buy shifts resources toward AI and other areas.
A former employee who spoke to 404 Media said they were sent an email notifying them to work from home on Wednesday and were then called individually to be told the news about their jobs. Some, per 404 Media’s sources and numerous Reddit posts, were longtime Geek Squad agents who had been with the company for more than 10 or even 20 years. Best Buy has not yet responded to Engadget’s request for comment.
There has been an outpouring of support for the laid off workers on the unofficial Geek Squad subreddit, where many have lamented the loss of jobs they’d dedicated much of their lives to and noted that things in the lead up had been heading in a concerning direction. Some commented that their hours had dwindled in recent months, with one former employee telling 404 Media it’s been “a struggle to get by.”

Im guessing - Best Buy will end up going were Compusa went some years ago .
how many Over Priced Monster cable's can Best Buy sell to keep there doors open ? :fact
want music download it . get it off Alexa ,or sirus xm or bluetooth it from your phone to your car . who go looking in stores for software anymore. computers are so cheap today , then there's other big players like Walmart ,target or costco ,sams club were do the bulk of people go shopping for TV's from - and your meals to .then you have the convince of shopping on your computer at the king / Biggest free at home 24 hour delivery E -commerce of all Amazon .just hop on your computer at work or home and the next day your wish is at your front door . if not the same day on a lot of item.

https://www.engadget.com/best-buys-geek ... 20480.html
Last edited by reno on Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
reno

Re: Best Buy’s Geek Squad hit by mass layoffs this week

Post by reno »

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Here in CA, I'm expecting fast food workers being layoff because of the mandatory pay increase to $20/hr. I visit Starbucks every Friday, and the gal there said that they have seen a reduction of 20% or more in traffic. When I go on Fridays around 7:30am, there was always a line in the drive thru. This last Friday, no one was in line. Weird! I see robots coming to these fast food joints. Our governor is such an idiot. He could not even run a lemon-aid stand.
reno

Post by reno »

Executioner wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:08 pm Here in CA, I'm expecting fast food workers being layoff because of the mandatory pay increase to $20/hr. I visit Starbucks every Friday, and the gal there said that they have seen a reduction of 20% or more in traffic. When I go on Fridays around 7:30am, there was always a line in the drive thru. This last Friday, no one was in line. Weird! I see robots coming to these fast food joints. Our governor is such an idiot. He could not even run a lemon-aid stand.
we know my minds kind of weird- but I always though of fast food and retail jobs as starter job for youth's for the most part . were you get your feet wet joining the work force . they never were much more then min .wage jobs unless you went up the management ladder.
but this was 50 years ago thinking and yes you get trap in that field for some .
but today things are way crazy unless you have a skill or right degree your screwed !
the job markets a whole lot different and so are the cost of living .
computer sure have played a part in the changes of life .
but $20 ./hr to flip a burger is crazy still .but even here in florida there paying $15 to $18 hr to just do that .
we get a lot of snowbird from NY and im amazed at the cost of living in general there . they think stuff here affordable when buy in home . but im seeing the home here in my condo are being bought by locals because it cheaper then renting and my property here jump up in value 4 fold from 2015 when we bought are unit - my old home in michigan only gone up 60 grand in the same time frame.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I agree. These types of jobs are starter jobs for the young from high school and college. Working there, you realize that there must be something better out there to make a living.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Wow I think you're 25 years out of date. Burger King USED to be a starter job. It likely still is for some people. For others it's just A job.

Around here it's maybe 50% young people, 35% retirees that need some extra money to make ends meet on Social Security, and a few 30 somethings.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.