MP3 Encoder?

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Zyph
Golden Member

MP3 Encoder?

Post by Zyph »

What is a good MP3 Encoder/CD Ripper? I sorta like Windows Media, but I don't like the propriatairy audio format :rolleyes: , Winamp is a decent player, but no encoding options. I am also looking for software that won't take over my system like RealJukebox. :d runk Also, if possible, I don't want any of those crappy SDMI (or whatever) complaint encoders/players.

Any Suggestions?

BTW: I heard of MusicMatch....is it good? How much does it try to take over your system in comparision to the "Real" Products (RealPlayer, RealJukebox, etc)? What encoding rates does it offer for free? I would be looking at either 128, 160, or 196 bitrates. (None of this stupid 96 [unless I was using a portable MP3 player] or 256 [why would I want my HDD taken up with bloated MP3 files? If I decided to put them on CDs, it would take so many more for the same songs.] )

Note: I know of the MP3Pro format, but until it is standard in products and players [and it's proven to be worthwhile]....I'm not gonna bother. )*
Kazer
Golden Member

Post by Kazer »

I recommend Audio Catalyst 2.1
You can set to set the bitrate to turn cd's into MP3's at 320 kbits.
bsdavid
Genuine Member

Post by bsdavid »

Audio Catalyst is very good.
OzzyFreaK
Genuine Member

Post by OzzyFreaK »

I highly recommend using Audiograbber with the latest LAME encoder. It's the best encoder available right now, it have even became better than the RADIUM fraunhofer encoder in audio quality.
poop
Golden Member

Post by poop »

Audio Catalyst SUCKS. Just do some fourier analysis. The Xing encoder mangles all frequencies starting around 16 kHz. If you have decent speakers, you can really tell a difference. Some Xing-encoded artifacts are so harsh, they hurt my ears. (Yes, hurt. The harsh-high pitched squeal does bad things to my ears).

Go with LAME. It is good. If you want an all-in-one system, RealJukebox is good. Just don't use the VBR setting. Go with 192 kbps constant bit rate. That should give you good results.

http://www.r3mix.net is an excellent resource.
- p o o p
sethpa
Golden Member

Post by sethpa »

I've had no complaints with MusicMatch Jukebox, even got the upgrade.

sethpa
"my overclocked brain runs much faster with the thought processor disabled"
Syn
Golden Member

Post by Syn »

For extraction I use EAC.For encoding I use LAME .Might need to grab a frontend thats listed on that page(razorlame is good).This is what I use when doing any MP3 stuff in windows,when in Linux I use Grip w/cd paranoia(sp?)and LAME enc.

Also there is the Ogg Vorbis format that I have started using to encode,I really like it and am thinking of redoing my entire collection in this format.There is a win32,Linux,MAC,BeOS and OS/2 client for download.
<a href=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=1000>HeatWare</a>
poop
Golden Member

Post by poop »

The only prob is that Ogg Vorbis cuts off frequencies abot 16 kHz. (The drag and drop encoder does)

So if you are looking to make the BEST possible encodes, stick with mp3. If you don't care about 16-20 kHz, Ogg is very nice.
- p o o p
succubiss
Golden Member

Post by succubiss »

another vote for MusicMatch Jukebox.

I like the 3.0 version even though 4 and 5 are out.
Very speedy and great quality.

if you would like, i could post it up later tonight.
LikeLinus

Post by LikeLinus »

MusicMatch Jukebox is one of the best there is, and it's free!

succubiss if you could post 3 that would be great. I think i used to have it, but not sure where it has gone :) oh well.
Phjorg
Golden Member

Post by Phjorg »

Here is the key, DO NOT USE AUDIO CATALYST! It's ripper might be easy to use, but it sucks in quality

ONLY USE PROGRAMS THAT USE THE LAME ENCODER!!!!!
It's by far the best out there! When encoding be sure to use a variable bit rate! right around 192vbr will give you CD quality sound.
<FONT COLOR="#888888">I AM</FONT> Canadian!!