Metallica buy vinyl factory as format outsells CDs for first time in US since 1987

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
Executioner
Life Member

Metallica buy vinyl factory as format outsells CDs for first time in US since 1987

Post by Executioner »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... ers-format
Metallica have bought their own factory to manufacture vinyl records, as annual vinyl unit sales outstrip CDs for the first time since 1987 in the US.

The thrash metal band are the new owners of Furnace Record Pressing, a Virginia pressing plant that has made discs for Metallica for 15 years, as Billboard reports. The company’s founder and chief executive Eric Astor said: “Knowing our long-term future is secured while also being better able to take advantage of growth opportunities is really exciting.”

Metallica sell more vinyl than most acts: without releasing a new album, they sold 387,000 copies of albums from their catalogue in the format in 2022, making them the sixth highest selling on vinyl act in the US that year. Their first album since 2016’s Hardwired … to Self-Destruct is released in April, entitled 72 Seasons, and Furnace has been pressing vinyl copies of it since January.

The band’s decision comes in the wake of manufacturing bottlenecks for the industry in recent years as the once almost dormant vinyl format has continued its resurgence.

A new year-end report by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for 2022 has found that vinyl revenue in the US grew to $1.2bn, a 17% annual rise. For the first time since 1987, more vinyl records were sold than CDs: 41m versus 33m. CD revenue fell 18%, to $483m.

It’s the 16th year of consecutive revenue growth for vinyl in the US, but at 17%, the rate of that growth is slowing. The RIAA reported that the market grew nearly 29% in 2020, despite the Covid-19 pandemic impacting retail – that year, revenue from vinyl overtook CDs for the first time since 1986. In 2021, the vinyl market jumped by another 61%.
The freshly pressed and trimmed album is ready for storage and packing into an album sleeve at Press On Vinyl in Middlesbrough
Turning tables: the UK’s new vinyl manufacturer riding the music revival
Read more

Vinyl revenue is driven in part by targeting fans who are willing to pay premium prices for the much-coveted format, even if they don’t actually play the albums: another US industry body, Luminate, found that in 2022 only 50% of vinyl buyers own a record player. Luminate also found vinyl sales to be relatively flat during 2022, boosted by spikes during two Record Store Day events, the release of Taylor Swift’s Midnights, and the Christmas gifting period.

The overall US revenue from physical music in 2022 is $1.7bn, a figure dwarfed by the revenue generated by streaming, digital radio, social media and other digital sources: $13.3bn, accounting for 84% of all revenue, with $10.2bn of that amount from paid subscriptions to streaming services such as Spotify and Apple Music.

The paid downloads market continues to evaporate. Once accounting for 43% of recorded music revenue, in 2012, it now accounts for just 3%.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Metallica buy vinyl factory as format outsells CDs for first time in US since 1987

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Funny that downloads are way down. Other than listening to the XMRadio app when I'm just wanting some random music, all my is music is downloads from Amazon. I prefer to have all my music physically on my server and on my phone, with my own playlists.

I've even been buying a lot of MP3 albums lately that I already have copies of, that I got from file sharing years ago, but sometimes the quality on those is not so good, and I'm happy to pay for a better quality copy now.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Metallica buy vinyl factory as format outsells CDs for first time in US since 1987

Post by Losbot »

I have stopped download MP3s over the last 5 years and have replaced those with FLAC files. Yeah, they're larger but storage is cheap these days (I have 4 NAS units for a total of 208TB) and all of my vehicles play FLAC files.
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Nice! I have both mp3 and Flac files. Almost of my mp3's are at 320 bit rate.

As for this article, the biggest reason for vinyl taking over CD's because most are using streaming services, and baby-boomers want to go back to a time in the past when music was done differently.