Old Fart needs help with new head unit

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
Lmandrake

Old Fart needs help with new head unit

Post by Lmandrake »

Friends:

I got a new head unit for my car and it has the ability to read both USB sticks and/or an SD card you can put in behind the faceplate.

Some of my music folders are direct copies of cd's and others are folders of songs I have collected from wherever and whatever.

The head unit recognizes the folders that are direct copies of CD's but does not see the folders I have created. I downloaded some software to write id3 tags in an attempt to make these random folders look like albums. This did not work.

Any links, tips, advice etc. on how I can get the head unit to recognize folders that I create would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Most car stereos don't really see folders. They go by ID3 tags. As far as they are concerned everything is in one folder - whether or not they are actually in sub-folders. So just make sure all your MP3s have proper ID3 tags.

If they're not MP3s then I don't know how the unit will treat them.

In my wife's car I have a big flash drive just full of MP3s. All with proper ID3 tags, and the unit will play based on artist, album, genre, etc. I usually just select a genre.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Unfortunately, there are absolutely no standards for what a car stereo will play or not from brand to brand or even within the same brand. I've found that some brands don't like any folders. Some brands can't see more than one folder deep. Some brands can browse as many folders as you can think up. I've also found some brands that will only play constant bitrate MP3s. Some will only play MP3s that were recorded with certain encoders. Some will only play MP3s & WMAs. Some will play just about everything. Very few seem to like wav, ogg, m4p, m4a, flac, 3gp, AIFF files, so avoid them or convert them. Then you run into things like special characters that they don't like or long file names. It's amazing how limited some stereos are and how some seem to be able to play just about everything.

So, in the end, it's best to read the manual very thoroughly for the manufacturers recommendations on formatting and even then, you may be best off finding a review on that unit from someone who has went through the trouble of finding what it will play and why.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

My older Pioneer USB unit seems to not care about much. it will do folders, WMA MP3 M4A, it says it only supports 8 gigs but I have a 32 gig with 17 gigs of music on it and other then it taking 10 seconds to start up it still plays.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Lmandrake

Post by Lmandrake »

Here is what the manual says, which ain't much:

This car sound system can be used to play audio CDs (CDDA) and CD-R/RWs with audio, MP3 or WMA files as well as MP3 or WMA files on USB data
carriers and SD(HC)/MMC memory cards.
Notes:

• Blaupunkt cannot guarantee the flawless function of copy-protected CDs and all CD blanks, USB data carriers and memory cards available on the market.

Note the following information when preparing an MP3/WMA data carrier:
• Naming of tracks and directories:
– Max. 32 characters without the file extension ".mp3" or ".wma" (the use of more characters reduces the number of tracks and folders that the car sound system can recognise)
– No umlauts or special characters
• CD formats: audio CD (CDDA), CD-R/RW, Ø: 12 cm
• CD data formats: ISO 9669 Level 1 and 2, Joliet
• CD burn speed: Max. 16x (recommended)
• USB format/file system: Mass storage device/FAT16/32
• Memory card file system: FAT16/32
• File extension of audio files:– .MP3 for MP3 files
– .WMA for WMA files
• WMA files only without Digital Rights Management (DRM) and created with Windows Media Player version 8 or later
• MP3 ID3 tags: Version 1 and 2
• Bitrate for creating audio files:– MP3: 32 to 320 kbps – WMA: 32 to 192 kbps
• Maximum number of files and directories: Up to 30,000 files/500 directories depending on the data structure
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I assume this, but is your card formatted to FAT32? Also, a lot of players don't like variable bit rate files. Unfortunately, I have limited experience with compressed audio on Blaupunkt units. Though I will say that their build quality is pretty decent (especially on the higher end models).
other then it taking 10 seconds to start up it still plays.
Most of the players have to scan the entire file system before they will play them. So that's not unusual.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

It is interesting, I once hooked up a 500g HDD with about 200g of music. It took it about 4 minuets, but it eventually started playing even tho the manual said it only supports up to 8g. I have to say that I am very happy with my Pioneer head unit. I have never used the optical or tuner on it. The usb support is beyond what the manual says as far as compatibility.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]