Arrival: A Response To Bad Movies

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Arrival: A Response To Bad Movies

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I so agree with this guy. I loved this movie. Such a refreshing take on sci-fi. If you haven't seen the movie, you shouldn't watch this! Lots of spoilers!

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!!!

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Re: Arrival: A Response To Bad Movies

Post by normalicy »

Interestingly, I'm watching this at this very moment. So far, I'm liking it.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I ended up really liking it. Only gripe is that the military is portrayed as a bunch of dolts.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, they always are. It's a trope. Like the FBI are always idiots in Diehard movies.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I finally saw this yesterday. Bummer I should have gone to the movie theater. This one is in a class like 2001 or Interstellar. What I call a smart sci fi instead of action and mayhem. It seems one common theme with all these sci fi flicks : the military are a bunch of morons. That was the only piece of the movie that depicted a dumb move by the military by placing explosives inside the ship. I originally thought at first that the military was finally doing something smart by gathering experts, and approaching the problem of communication in a logical way. It was still an excellent movie.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah but keep in mind the explosives were the work of a bunch of renegade soldiers, not the main military. That may not have come across clearly.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah it was not that clear. With the discussion of doing an offensive hit by the military command, including the other countries, it could have been approved and not renegade soldiers.