First Photo: Spielberg’s “Ready Player One”

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

First Photo: Spielberg’s “Ready Player One”

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I am so worried they'll mess this movie up. To do the book justice it HAS to be 2 or 3 movies.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/first-photo ... layer-one/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: First Photo: Spielberg’s “Ready Player One”

Post by Losbot »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that book.....twice.
I too hope that they don't fuck it up.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

LOL, that's about the same thing everyone I know has said.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Saw the trailer. Was not impressed. What the fuck does "Robot race car drivers" have to do with shit?

I really want an amazing trilogy, but from what I saw of the trailer, it's looking like CGI ego stroke that shares very little with the books story.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well, it makes sense they want to show off the over the top CGI, I just hope the story is in there somewhere.

I have done a LOT of Googling, and can't find any reference that this is anything but a single movie. There's no way they can cram that story into two and a half hour movie.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I dont have a problem with crazy CGI per se. But keep to the story. The fact that 30% of the trailer is some car race that is not in the book at all, is a bad sign to me.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Genom wrote:I dont have a problem with crazy CGI per se. But keep to the story. The fact that 30% of the trailer is some car race that is not in the book at all, is a bad sign to me.
Yeah, gotta agree with that.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I am already preparing myself for a major fork. If they have to cram the whole book into one movie, there's going to be a LOT of differences. They may use this race as a replacement for a lot of the competition aspects of the book.

I'm preparing myself not to hate it just because it doesn't follow the book. It may end up being a great movie, but it's probably not going to be the movie we hope for.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

The thing for me is I loved the book because the connection was so strong to my childhood. I played all those games, I loved that culture. I still jam to my big hair 80's music all the time, and get my 8 bit gaming on with my wife.

I know a movie will always alter the book, but for this particular story, I think the changes have to be with the pacing of the story. For example, the whole infiltration of the sixers to bring down the shield could be altered, and cut down on time significantly, as well as Wade's time spent faffing about with endorsements/work for example. If they just chase the opening of the 3 gates without some of the sidestuff, it could be crammed into a long movie and maintain the spirit of the story I connected with.

Dunno. I will obviously watch it, good or bad, but I am preparing myself now cause I am just not confident they will get it right.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I never read the book, so I grabbed a copy and started reading it last night. Bliss.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Enjoy! The book is awesome!