Watch the most impressive 'Game of Thrones' VFX reel yet

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Watch the most impressive 'Game of Thrones' VFX reel yet

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The Loot Train scene was impressive as hell when I saw it Sunday. I assumed there was a lot of CGI but the behind the scene video (below) shows there was actually a hell of a lot of practical effects involved. It really showed in the final result, because it looked REALLY good.

Nice to watch something like that and then see the behind the scenes to see all the work that went into it.
To add realism to the digital creations, the team also did a lot of practical work on set with special flying cameras, pyrotechnics and fire -- lots of fire. In one spectacular Drogon destruction POV scene, they used a cable-camera rig mounted on two tall cranes to capture the pyrotechnic effects. "We had to have the 'spider-cam' camera fly in real time and in perfect sync with a hundred feet of ground explosions that are huge," said VFX supervisor Joe Bauer.

For the piece de resistance, the team set no less than 20 stuntmen on fire, the most ever in a single TV shot. "The difficulty with 20 people is that you ramp up the safety aspect of it, because there are more people in harm's way and more that can go wrong," said Producer Chris Newman.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/08/wat ... -reel-yet/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "