First Man mini review

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

First Man mini review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Saw it at the Ocala IMAX and I have to say that I found the IMAX experience disappointing, which affected my experience. The movie was NOT shot in IMAX except for when they're on the surface of the moon. I understand why they did this - it's a dramatic artistic choice that makes the surface of the moon look clear and sharp, and the shadows look clearly defined, as it really would because of the lack of atmosphere. However, the fact that the rest of the film is not shot in IMAX means the rest of the movie looked annoyingly grainy on an IMAX screen.

Another problem I had with the theater is that they had the volume WAY too loud, and the director chose to make the rocket launch scenes incredibly loud for realism. At home I would have just turned it down but in the theater I had to cover my ears it was so painful.

Let me just say that the movie is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to buying the Bluray and watching again at home. It goes much farther than movies like the Right Stuff and Apollo 13 to show Armstrong's, and some of the other astronaut's home life and the pressures they were under. It made them much more human, less like supermen. Armstrong himself is dealing with his 5 year old daughter's death in the beginning of the movie which haunts him throughout. You learn a lot about Armstrong who, in real life, was extremely private.

The sets inside the space craft were incredibly detailed and realistic - even better than the arguably very good sets on Apollo 13. Equipment looked used and worn, as it would look if switches and knobs had been turned and flicked thousands of times during ground tests, with little cards and notes taped everywhere, and dim, dingy lighting. Sometimes the lighting was TOO dark, like on the LEM. I guarantee you the real LEM had more light on the control panel - in the movie it was so dark you couldn't see the switches.

Overall a great film. Just be aware it's not edge of the seat action all the time. It's got a slow pace like the Right Stuff.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: First Man mini review

Post by Executioner »

I heard a disappointing fact is they did not show the planting of the American flag, but was shown in the distance. Wonder if it was a political reason for it by the director? The reviews are so-so.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: First Man mini review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You know, I'm really sick of hearing nonsense about that. Why MUST the flag planting be shown? You DO see the flag on the moon, you just don't see it planted. There was plenty of flags around, and it was plenty pro-American.

Watch the film. In the context of what was happening at that time in the film, the planting of the flag would probably have been out of place. The whole time Armstrong is on the surface, he's going through a personal reflection moment that I don't want to spoil for you.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "