Peter Jackson’s ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ Is a Stunning Tribute to World War I’s Heroes

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Peter Jackson’s ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ Is a Stunning Tribute to World War I’s Heroes

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They've digitally restored and colorized old film of actual fighting and soldiers on the front line from WWI. They digitally corrected for the jerky hand-cranked film, recreated voices and sound effects and interleaved it all with interviews of actual WWI veterans.

I got a tear in my eye just watching the trailer.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 100%. I'll need to watch this. We ALL need to watch this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/movienew ... ?ocid=News

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Peter Jackson’s ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ Is a Stunning Tribute to World War I’s Heroes

Post by FlyingPenguin »

To check for screenings of They Shall Not Grow Old near you, visit Fathom Events: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... t-grow-old

The only dates so far were today and the 27th. Thankfully you have the option of watching it in 2D or 3D. I hate 3D.

Looks like it's playing right around the corner from me. Hopefully this will be eventually released on BluRay here (it's already out since the 10th in the UK for region 2).
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Re: Peter Jackson’s ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ Is a Stunning Tribute to World War I’s Heroes

Post by normalicy »

I'm very excited to see this one.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Going to see it with some friends tomorrow.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I completely missed my opportunity to see this. Bummed out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Saw it in a packed theater. It was amazing. There's also a 30 minute documentary at the end that shows how they made the film and that was extremely interesting.

My only complaint is that it starts in B&W for the first 10 - 15 minutes when they're talking about leading up to the war and men joining up and shipping out. It doesn't transition to color until they get to the front line. It seemed too long.

I'd keep a lookout for the US Blu-ray release.