How To Save James Bond

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

How To Save James Bond

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I vote for number 3.

I've been railing for a while that James Bond should be rebooted back in the 60s. The Bond character is a dinosaur in the 21st century. His behavior would be a nightmare in the modern world.

The Man from Uncle movie pulled it off.
The franchise has been making guilty digs at itself ever since M called Bond a “sexist, misogynist dinosaur” in 1996’s GoldenEye, and yet the character hasn’t really evolved since then. He’s still the /r/RedPill übermensch – a smirking, womanising archetype who probably posts 'Real Men Wear Suits' memes to his Finsta. Even Daniel Craig thinks that Bond is a a tragic case, telling us in 2015: “He’s very f***ing lonely. There’s a great sadness.”

But all this self-flagellation is getting us nowhere. How much longer can we shoe horn Bond into a culture that's left him behind? Either he modernises or the writers should hold his actions to account. Instead of letting this waist-grabbing Godzilla roam the streets, why not just release him back into his natural habitat: the sixties? Lay his misogyny, sad stoicism and post-imperialist delusions bare in a context that actually makes sense, and critique it intelligently in the vain of Mad Men. If you're going to confront Bond's toxic behaviour, don't follow it up with a wink and a nudge.

Plus, somewhat more importantly, the suits and cars would be really nice.
https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a264 ... ames-bond/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Re: How To Save James Bond

Post by normalicy »

I can get onboard with this.

My personal opinion is that the series has just gotten too serious. It's supposed to be a crazy fun adventure. Not depressing and scary.