Okay, who else has seen the season finale of Star Trek Discovery?

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Okay, who else has seen the season finale of Star Trek Discovery?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And if you haven't seen it, you need to.

Holy crap! I need to discuss this with someone.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: Okay, who else has seen the season finale of Star Trek Discovery?

Post by Genom »

Yup. I immediately went looking for info on S3. I assume it's gonna go off since the series is named after Discovery, not Enterprise, but where they go form here is going to be tricky as fuck. It's either going to be very interesting, or they are going to jump the shark completely and lose me.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I can't see them spending so much money on the set for the Enterprise bridge and not using it next season. Also the whole thing at the end with Spock shaving and his recognizable science station, just felt like a passing of the torch.

But yeah, would be kind of awkward switching to the Enterprise story and keeping the Discovery name unless they do a spin off.

They could continue with Discovery's story separately, but if you watched the four Short Treks (which I strongly recommend) we know that Discovery is abandoned 1000 years in the future, and that the ship's computer has evolved self awareness (and now we know why) and has been waiting for the crew to return.

This season was a roller coaster, and there are still major plot holes I have issues with, but wow what a fun season.

Since this is about 10 years before Kirk, and Pike's accident, there's a lot of potential stories about the Pike era they can do.

BTW I was so happy to see Tig Notaro. She's a great standup comic, and the perfect person to play the role of crusty engineer Jett Reno. I loved her character.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I have not seen the short treks, but still, they have enough of a window since Discovery jumped 930 years was it?

That said, if ratings are good enough, there is enough room for 2 different series. Just dont go nuts with them, or stagger the seasons a bit, and you are golden. I *hate* time travel BS because it is so open to abuse, but this was done as OK as I can stand so I wont hate it too much.

And I would love to have a Pike series. I always felt he had so much potential coming from the more frontier time period of the Trek universe.

And annoyingly enough, as I am harping on time travel schticks, Orville goes and jumps into that pool as well with their latest episode. At least they left an interesting cliffhanger for next week.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah I hate time travel, and I'm not too happy with the awkward way they explained why no one seemed to know about time travel before Kirk & Spock accidently slingshot the Enterprise to 1962 in TOS (don't get me started on why everyone seems to know all about time crystals).

The bright spot is that if they do an Enterprise show, this SHOULD be the last time we ever hear about time travel, since it's now taboo.

Yeah, you should watch the short treks. You get the back story on Saru, the back story on the princess, and a wonderful Harry Mud story, in addition to the story about Discovery in the future. They're on my shares.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Just found them and will watch then in a bit and comment
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

OK, with the episodes fresh, caveat on the Discivery episode. She has been alone for 1000 years. So that episode would be about 2000 years in the future from the "present day" in the Discovery series since we know they jumped 930 years into the future. Even if they left the ship right after the jump (and we know they left in a organized manner since she is ordered to maintain position), there's still lots of possibilities.

Who knows. I cant wait to see where S3 goes
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

3rd Season confirmed to follow Discovery 950 years into the future. No word on a Spock/Pike spinoff, although fans (myself included) are howling for it.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/alex-kurtzman-t ... 1834190233