Car Design Trends That Need to Stop

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Car Design Trends That Need to Stop

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The giant key fobs... Sigh. My wife's 2018 Navigator has a key fob the size of a hockey puck, and weighs as much or more. I hate having that thing in my pocket.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Car Design Trends That Need to Stop

Post by Losbot »

LOL
He's funny.
------------------------------------------

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

100% agree with him. Everything he listed I've used against buying certain cars/options. I'm surprised he didn't go off on Lexus's giant hourglass. When we were shopping for my wife's new car, that grill eliminated them from our choices. Didn't even bother test driving any of their SUV.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

psypher wrote:100% agree with him. Everything he listed I've used against buying certain cars/options. I'm surprised he didn't go off on Lexus's giant hourglass. When we were shopping for my wife's new car, that grill eliminated them from our choices. Didn't even bother test driving any of their SUV.
Same here. I was waiting for him to point out the Lexus when it came to large grills. My wife also has always loved Lexus until that massive Predator grill came out. Now she won't look at them.
------------------------------------------

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I also agree 100%. My biggest bugbears are giant grills, anything shiny in the interior, and thicc A-pillars. The other item I wish he mentioned was bright white LED headlamps. Manufactures really need to choose a warmer color and scatter the light a bit more for better viability.

My Challenger is almost paid off. With interest rates almost non-existent, I'm looking at either a Toyota Camry (SE trim, the LE's grill is ridiculous) or a Honda Accord Hybrid. I like the looks of the Honda better overall. However, I with the infotainment was integrated into the dash like the Camry. The other factor is the transmissions. The Camry SE had an 8-spd automatic and gets 39 highway. The Accord gets 48 highway but has a CVT. I haven't decided what I want to do. The deciding factor whether I get a new car is how much more my insurance will be.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

I agree with him on those massive note pad touch screen . there putting in a lot of cars and pickup trucks . I know some who had to have the dodge ram pickup because of the massive control pods but to me it's a turn off .
on a side note - it amazes me how much your cars onboard computer really control in the cars we drive. over last 5 to 10 years I have learned a lot.
mostly due to keeping my cars for like 15 years from buying them new .having weird thing start acting up on them .like the cars self locking them self . and rear wipers activate out of the blue . even do you think it a switch you press to make them work .you think it be like a home wall light switch .flip it on or off and that sends a current to activate it. but you are really doing is just sending a signal to the central computer to send the signal to that part of your car. and when the computers start going bad it sends weird signals as a warning long before they totally go out. on my one car a 2008 saturn even my rear right break light. is acting up and been told its due to the computer in my car. along with my rear window wiper . then there the rear door locks that unlock sometimes and sometimes wont and its a pain. having reach into the back seat to pull the manual lock pegs with my fingers. but to me the car not worth buying a new computer and having it reprogramed . did that on my last old car 2002 only to sell it a year later. see i take over the wifes car when we buy a new one . seeing we don't drive like we did they are lasting longer. now like 2-3 times as long we were buying a new car about every 5 to 6 year. it is nice going 4-6 years without car payments .
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

reno wrote:now like 2-3 times as long we were buying a new car about every 5 to 6 year. it is nice going 4-6 years without car payments .

Speaking of car payments, I love new cars, but also despise car payments. But at 2% loans, it's a better financial move if you ignore the whole buying a car thing. I work from home, so I don't put many miles on my cars, maybe 7-8K per year. My current car is a 2014 Mustang GT, thing is a garage queen. I paid it off last year and might end up being the last car I ever buy for myself. My previous car was a 2005 Acura TL. I sold it in 2014 with 90K miles on it for 10K. The car was impeccable.

My wife though, she put up with a lot. She drove a 2004 4Runner up until last year when coolant started leaking into the 6th cylinder. She literally drove it till it died at 240K miles. She more than earned her GLC 300. Ordered it exactly how she wanted it and it arrived on her birthday last year. Thing is awesome with all the sensors and cameras. It does have a somewhat large screen, but nothing obnoxious like Tesla or what Ford put in their 2020 Explorer. This car could be hard to keep a long time if repairs/maintenance get too crazy, but we'll see.

Oh and that 4Runner, yea I spent the 3K on the head gasket job to resurrect it and now my son drives it as his first car. Rather put the money in a car I know the entire history off, which we maintained very well than some random car off the street. Plus I need something for my Home Depot runs :)