Vinyl records topped CD sales in 1H 2020 for the first time since the 80s

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Vinyl records topped CD sales in 1H 2020 for the first time since the 80s

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Vinyl records topped CD sales in 1H 2020 for the first time since the 80s

Post by Executioner »

LOL - I still have all of 300+ LP's from the 70's and 80's. I even have 15 quadraphonic LP's to go along with my stored quad system. I just bought a Teac A-4300SX reel to reel tape deck. I always wanted one of these when I was in my 20's, but I had other projects at the time - kart racing, radio control, 2 cars, and of course women. So now I have one. I've been going through it to fix a few minor issues with the machine, but overall it's in really good shape for the age (40+ years). Nothing beats the quality of the Japanese electronics in the 70's.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Those Teacs were rock solid machines. AV company I worked for in the 80s had several of them. Some 2300s, 4300s, and some 3440 quads. The quads were necessary for synchronized slide shows (before the Power Point era). Audio would be on 2 tracks, and the slide control tones would be on the third track.

Nice reliable machines. They took a lot of abuse. You could bounce them around in the back of a truck, or ship them around the country, and they just kept working.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Here is a demo of one:
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Weren't those Teac Reel to Real players direct drive too? I know how good these can sound but have avoided collecting yet another medium.

I still buy physical media when available. I rip my CD's to flac and put them away. I have a Sony PCM-M10 digital recorder to transfer my vinyl and cassettes.

Bandcamp is my preferred place to by music as you get a lossless digital download along with your physical purchase. It's nice to instantly listen to something without ripping a CD or transferring a vinyl.

I'm actually amazed that vinyl has topped CD sales this year. Due to COVID, all the plants have been backed up. I've actually been buying more CD's this year because the cost of some vinyl records is becoming too much in some cases. Shipping is also sometimes ridiculous as it costs as much to ship an item as the item itself if it's coming from Europe.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Err wrote:Weren't those Teac Reel to Real players direct drive too?
No not this model. It's belt driven.