Wonder Woman 1984 - OMG what a piece of crap!

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Wonder Woman 1984 - OMG what a piece of crap!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Since we get HBO Max included with Comcast, the wife and I were looking forward to to watching Wonder Woman 1984 tonight.

Well....

I want that 2 hours and 30 minutes of my life back.

Hokey plot. Terrible script. Terrible lighting. Bad CGI. A gazillion tired tropes. Inconsistent makeup (Chris Pine sometimes looks 35, sometimes looks 65, one second has a clean shaven face, the next second a day old beard). Gal Gadot is a gorgeous woman, and somehow they made her look like crap in most of this movie.

And what a total waste of the acting skills of Pablo Pascal. He did his best, but they cast him as a cardboard cutout of a character. Reminded me of Jim Carrey as the Riddler in Batman Forever. No matter how great a talent you are, you can't overcome a bad script and a badly fleshed out character.

I can honestly say that Superman: The Quest for Peace was a better movie. I.. KID.. YOU.. NOT.

:scratch
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Wonder Woman 1984 - OMG what a piece of crap!

Post by Executioner »

Thanks for letting me know so I don't waste my time. What about Kaley Cuoco in Flight Attendant? I saw the first one, but haven't seen any additional episodes.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Wife is watching it right now, I was gonna later. Guess I wont bother.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I haven't seen it yet but I'll watch it regardless, just to form my own opinion.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's fun enough to watch for free. But if I'd paid for that, I'd be pretty, pissed.

Funny, I came across a review this morning where all they did was bitch about the CGI late in the movie (no spoilers).

I was like: "Bad CGI? That was the least of my issues."

On the topic of CGI, though, this movie does continue DC's absurd dedication to unrealistic physics. At least Marvel makes it FEEL like there's some physics in their CGI. When Ironman hits a wall, at it looks like he hit a wall (granted they totally ignore the effect of inertia, which would have turned him to pulp inside the suit). In DC movies, characters get flung around like characters in Looney Tunes cartoons. There's nothing vaguely realistic about it.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:I haven't seen it yet but I'll watch it regardless, just to form my own opinion.
TY, as it should be. Come on people, form your own opinions!

Personally I liked it as a decent popcorn flick, but my opinion is somewhat influenced on it being included with HBO Max and with Covid, seeing anything new is a treat.

How do we even do a spoiler tag here?
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:What about Kaley Cuoco in Flight Attendant? I saw the first one, but haven't seen any additional episodes.
OT, but the wife and I finished it and we liked it.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Watched it last night, FP description is spot on. A friend has HBO MAX so we had dinner with them and watched it afterwards. Total yawn worthy flick....
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Watched it on IMAX (got the tix cheap). My take:

It was entertaining if you look past some of the things that irked me a little, such as only ONE song from the 80s. WTF?
The story was a bit lame and of course the physics are typical of DC. Overall it wasn't terrible but it wasn't quite as good as the first Wonder Woman movie.
I did like Lynda Carter's cameo during the credits.
------------------------------------------

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Watched it eventually. If the first movie didnt exist, I would say it was OK. But the first one sets a tone for the character and world for me, and the second one felt like a movie version of a 80's episode, complete with shitty acting and poor CGI. I didnt hate it, but I wont watch it again.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Finally saw it tonight - a piece of crap is right. Also very boring!