The Martian Extended Cut includes 9 new scenes

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

The Martian Extended Cut includes 9 new scenes

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm going to have to order a copy of the Extended cut after reading this. I was due to watch the movie again anyway.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/152338 ... ns-in-them
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: The Martian Extended Cut includes 9 new scenes

Post by Executioner »

Is it on Amazon? One of the better films from the past I'd like to have like Interstellar.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I did find the bluray on Amazon from a reseller.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW, if you saw Tenet and didn't like it because you were totally confused, I recommend watching these YouTube explainers and giving it another chance. Like Interstellar, it has a fascinating science concept behind it, but it has implementation flaws in the movie. My second viewing the other night, after watching these, made it much more enjoyable. There's still issues, which I don't want to get into due to spoilers, but overall it really is a big budget implementation of Primer, which I really liked, but had college level production values (not surprising for a budget of $7K).

I didn't like Interstellar on my first viewing, but now it's in my top 10. Not so much confusion as I totally understood the physics involved, but there were stupid decisions made by the director that irked me. Biggest issue was that the robot had a normal voice, and thus - especially on the first viewing - I couldn't tell who the hell was talking when the robot spoke. It drove me nuts. It just needed a touch of electronic in it's voice, or an echo or something. Half the time I thought another crew member was talking.

TENET EXPLAINERS:
This guy has a good voice, and does a good explainer:

TENET Temporal Pincer Explained And The True Meaning Of The Ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIDBWElCqh8

TENET: Neil's Timeline Explained + What Happens To The Character In The End
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R08iGGzW3Q

Those two are all you need to get a better enjoyment out of the movie, however this guy does have more Tenet explainers if you want a deeper dive. I disagree with a couple of his assumptions, but in general he has the timeline and mechanics explained. Here's his Tenet playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPospf ... zdlrbss3yz

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Watched it last night. Blu-ray gives you the option to watch either the theatrical or extended version.

I like the extended version better. It's not a tremendous difference, but the added scenes give less of a rushed feeling to some parts of the movie. Instead of just leaping into a scene, you get a little bit of a setup. You can tell Ridley Scott originally intended to have those scenes in there, and may have in the original edit, but the studio probably insisted on keeping the running time shorter.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yeah, they still deviated some from the book and left out some parts I thought were worth having.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well no movie is ever going to match the book, but I think this movie is pretty faithful to it, without making it into a 6 hour miniseries. My only complaint is the stupid "Ironman" ending, which as you know, is not in the book. I guess just jumping the last 50 meters wasn't Hollywood enough for the studio.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My number two pet peeve? Sean Bean's character. Not his fault. The director, for some deranged reason, wanted him played as a whiny, passive aggressive, wuss.

He's supposed to be the Flight Director. Those guys are anything but push overs. Gene Krantz (played wonderfully by Ed Harris in Apollo 13) was no push over. I don't remember him being a wuss in the book either.