Matrix Resurrections mini review

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Matrix Resurrections mini review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, so you know where I'm coming from, in my universe the 2nd and 3rd movies don't exist (same universe where there is only the first Star Wars movie). I don't hate the two Matrix sequels. As stand alone movies I liked them. I love the actions scenes in them, especially the highway shootout, but they weren't necessary parts of the Matrix universe. The first movie told a complete story and it was done, and it didn't need any sequels.

Given all that, I was not expecting to enjoy this movie. BUT it turned out I did. Wife and I watched it on HBO Max tonight (we have HBO on Comcast so we get HBO Max included) and both of us enjoyed the hell out of it, for what it was. It certainly exceeded my expectations. It's not without it's flaws, and it's full of tropes, but it was entertaining as hell, and told a good story, and has a logical plot to explain how Neo and Trinity are somehow back in the Matrix (no spoilers there, that's been shown in the trailers).

Most importantly the movie is pretty much a nostalgia trip if you're a fan of the original trilogy, but that's not entirely a bad thing. Actually, that's what made the movie for me.

For sure if you have HBO Max (and hey, you can subscribe and cancel after the free trial), go watch it. It's worth your time if you're a fan of the trilogy, or like me, just a fan of the first movie.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Matrix Resurrections mini review

Post by Executioner »

My son and I were going to the movie theater to see it, but after reading several reviews from movie goers, they suggested watching it on HBO Max.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Saw it last night on HBO Max with the wife, and I'm so glad I did not waste my money on this at the theater. We both agree that it was not that great. I was disappointed that Yuen Woo-ping, who choreograph the first two movies did not return for this one. He also did Kill Bill. Maybe they should have gotten Chad Stahelski, who did John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum. It looks like they left it open for another movie.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Lana Wachowski says she is absolutely not doing another Matrix movie. Of course the studio could, with another director.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm still going to the theater on Tuesday night with a group of about 8 friends. We're overdue for a social gathering, so despite the movie being available for me to watch, I'm holding off until then.
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Get wasted before you see it.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:17 pm Get wasted before you see it.
LMFAO
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

As long as you go in NOT expecting a masterpiece, it's okay. Honestly, it's mainly a nostalgia trip. There are some fun moments. I will say that elements of the plot are confusing and you need to follow carefully, and (this may be less of a problem in the theater) there's some hard to understand dialog sometimes.

I think there was a bad acting decision (not sure if it was the actor's or the director's fault) that took me out of the movie at one point. We can save that discussion for a spoiler thread.