Ford, Tesla ‘blindside’ industry with charging deal. Here's what it means for automakers and customers

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Ford, Tesla ‘blindside’ industry with charging deal. Here's what it means for automakers and customers

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Bam! Ford adopting Tesla charging system. This is a big deal. Tesla's charging system is generally considered the better one, and it's always been open source. Tesla chargers are also considered more reliable in the EV world. They are better maintained, more sophisticated, and most of their stations have battery backups.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-tes ... 10414.html
Starting next year, Ford EVs will have access to 12,000 Tesla Superchargers in North America, via a Tesla-supplied adapter. Then starting in 2025, all new Ford EVs will ship with Tesla’s NACS (North American Charging Standard) charging connector, as opposed to the CCS standard which most other EV automakers have been using.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: Ford, Tesla ‘blindside’ industry with charging deal. Here's what it means for automakers and customers

Post by Pugsley »

Great... just what the industry needs... MORE CONNECTORS!! This is Lightning vs USB C tier stupid. Just use the CCS standard. Or don't. I don't care.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Ford, Tesla ‘blindside’ industry with charging deal. Here's what it means for automakers and customers

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Add GM:

GM to use Tesla charging network, joining Ford in leveraging the EV leader’s tech
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/gm-tesl ... twork.html

Tesla is a standard, a better one, and by far the largest existing network. If everyone jumps on the bandwagon, all the better. Should we all still be using AGP slots in PCs? Standards evolve.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

But CSS is the newer standard... they both have pros and cons. But you are correct there are more Tesla chargers out there so why not use them. I think that the cars will still have the standard port on them they are just going to include and adapter to use a Tesla charging station.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I guess it's just easier for all of them to "go with the flow" and take the easier route since there's lots of chargers out there already.
------------------------------------------