anyone know anything about power doorlocks?

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
bigcfromcinci
Golden Member

anyone know anything about power doorlocks?

Post by bigcfromcinci »

Bought a 95 Suburban last week and everything works on it but the power doorlocks.You can hear the relay kickin when the switch is pressed...I'm guessing either an actuator gone bad,loose wire or switch?But what is the easiest way to find out what's bad?I have a continuity tester and all.

I'm having a Viper alarm system put in it and would like to get these fixed...besides,it sucks to manually open the doors all the time..especially when theirs 4 doors,lazy eh :D

I really hate to get reamed by a dealer,hopefully I can fix it meself.

Thanks!
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Hmm..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Sounds like you've check fuses already. Does it have a custom stereo? Speakers? It's possible that they knocked something loose on the inside of the door panels. You can try removing them to see what's there/loose. I actually have one door lock in my car that will only lock, but won't unlock, the motor isn't strong enough to push it open anymore.. heh.. GL with your search for an answer.. :)
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
bigcfromcinci
Golden Member

Post by bigcfromcinci »

I had the one door panel on the drivers side off.Their wasn't any loose wires or anything.It has the factory stereo still in it.
Yes..I checked the fuses and the relays.They seem to be OK.

Hopefully it's NOT an actuator..I called GM parts and they cost 100.00 EACH :eek:
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Yah, they're a rip off..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

You might try someplace like U-AUTO Pull It, they sell whole doors for like 50 bux and you may be able to pick up the actuator for a little bit of nothin' and see if that really is the problem.
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
zandor
Genuine Member

Post by zandor »

They could have just popped loose. My dad's had to fix a couple on the string of tauruses and sables they went through, and every time the actuator just popped loose. Dad just tied 'em back down w/ a piece of wire. Of course if that is the problem you should be able to hear them clanking around when you hit the button.
Spindle collector. FC-AL 9x18x10k; SCSI 3x36x15k, 1x18x10k, 1x73x10k, 1x9x10k, 1x18x7.2k; IDE 1x120x7.2k, 1x40x5.4k, 1x9x7.2k, 1x6.4x?, 1x2.5x?
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

you can get non OEM parts for much less. if its a 95 im going to guess they are servos and not... wtf are they called... damn it... solenoids. so if they are broke and dont move even tho they have power then you just have to replace them. but there are several companys that make them so shop around. 100 bux is a rip off.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Lmandrake

Post by Lmandrake »

If they work with the engine running, it could be dirty connections or dirty contacts on the switch. Try some electrical contact cleaner on the switch.
bigcfromcinci
Golden Member

Post by bigcfromcinci »

thanks for all the replys guys :)
they don't work period..but you can hear the relay kicking in and out when you press on the switch.
Tomorrow I'm gonna take the pasenger side panel off and see if there's any loose connections in there.It's only a 15 minute job.

Damn,
you got that right...found them for 32.95
but there are several companys that make them so shop around. 100 bux is a rip off.
Is the actuator inside the door handle?Underneath the switch?Just curious cause I seen a few pics of them online and don't recall seeing anything like that today when i had the drivers side off.
heres a pic of one

nevermind on the actuator question...good article here on where their located on several different cars
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

was gonna say.. just operate the lock manuallt and see what moves and follow it to its end... your bound to find it.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]