Normalicy, Any other Car Audio Gurus! I gots a ????

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Normalicy, Any other Car Audio Gurus! I gots a ????

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Ok.. I have a 98 F-150 w/Auto Set Button and a 6 Disc Changer (located in the rear driverside wall (what would be the 4th door if I had a 4 door instead of a 3 door). I am thinking about asking for a new aftermarket Head Unit & Speakers for my truck, but don't want to have to replace the changer as well. Does anybody know if the 6-disc changer will work with an aftermarket stereo with an adapter or anything like that? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Bumping this up.. Been doing some googling and things aren't looking hopeful.. But most of the info I'm finding is 2 or 3 years old.. Certainly by now they've come up with something?! I'm sure that another changer can slide right in where this one goes, but that's not the point.. lol

Again, TIA!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

the after market radio company should sell adapters to factory changers, have you checked on crutchfield.com to match it up? You could even call them to ask them specifically.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Yah, checked the website and all they seemed to have was adapters that went from the factory stereo to aftermarket changers.. ;\
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

http://www.f150online.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-18.html

all I could find that was sorta close sorry bud.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

np, thanks for lookin' ;)
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
renovation

Post by renovation »

i have a jvc unit in my truck and it's a 10 disk the cable /wire to it looks like a svideo cable
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
renovation

Post by renovation »

Image[/IMG]
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Thanks Reno, not quite the answer I'm looking for though.. :)
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
renovation

Post by renovation »

sorry eco ! i happen to have a spair radio from my kids old car we trashed 6 years ago !
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Sorry for the delay, I don't usually check all of the seperate forums, but on a whim was checking this.

I feel that unfortunately, you are probably out of luck. I've seen many interfaces to control an aftermarket changer, but never one to control the factory one. I checked a few interface sites & there was no mention of such an interface. I know that sometimes the factory changer is actually a relabled version of a name brand one, so if you can figure that out, then maybe. I'm pretty sure that Ford uses Clarion changers.

If your changer looks like this, it's a clarion:
http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ca/27/983a_1.JPG

However, even if it is a Clarion, they do like to change wiring around sometimes so that the connector won't work (who knows though, I've seen some work though). It might be worth selling the factory one & buying the same changer in the name brand so it'll fit like factory. You'd probably get more for the factory one anyhow, since people searching for factory fixes are usually pretty ignorant of such values. One way or the other, I'd determine what changer you have first. If it is a Clarion, then get a clarion head unit (believe me, you won't be able to control it with any other brand radio without major headaches). Clarion is a very good company anyhow. So, then if you can use the factory cable, you're good to go, if not, then you can go from there.

Usually the cars I work on don't have much to start with (thus why I'm working on them), so I don't delve into trying to use the factory stuff much.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Hey Normalicy, thanks so much for the reply. Yes, it is the exact one that you linked in the picture. I like Clarion, I had a set of their speakers in my car and loved them. And had planned on getting their speakers again for my truck, so will probably give that a shot. If it doesn't work, then I'll go ahead and swap out the changer for the one just like it so everything fits where it's supposed to.

Thanks so Much!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

You may as well go ahead and buy the headunit and changer as a bundle and save a few dollars on the shipping. I've looked and looked and as far as I can find, there is no way to connect a factory changer to an aftermarket stereo, even if you buy the same manufacturer.

You're only other option is to keep the factory radio and upgrade the speakers.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Glad to help. Yeah, if you can find a package, it would probably be best, because it is somewhat unlikely that Ford was nice enough to use a Clarion compatible cable (Ford is the bane of many an installer, always coming up with new ways to make it harder to install aftermarket gear).