Michigan love of hybrid cars ==========NOT

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Michigan love of hybrid cars ==========NOT

Post by reno »

The plan — which will raise an additional $600 million annually in taxes for transportation purposes — increases annual vehicle registration costs for passenger vehicles and commercial trucks by about 20% and increases the state gas tax by 7.3 cents. Owners of hybrid and all-electric vehicles will pay even more.

The vehicle registration fees alone will account for about $200 million annually in increased revenue. Because the fiscal year started in October, the total plan will only generate an estimated $450 million for fiscal year 2017.

The average cost for registration tabs currently runs at about $120, Michigan Department of State spokeswoman Gisgie Dávila Gendreau said. The fees are based on the value of the vehicle and its year, with additional costs including personalized or fund-raising plates, or whether a driver chooses to pay for a recreation passport, which grants access to Michigan’s state parks.

Additional registration fees will be added for hybrid and electric vehicles, Dávila Gendreau said.

Electric vehicles, or cars that are not capable of using gasoline and other traditional fuels, will be subject to an annual $100 surcharge, in addition to a $35 gasoline tax. Owners of the Chevrolet Spark EV, Bolt or Ford Focus Electric, for example, would experience that estimated $135 registration fee hike on top of their usual registration fee.

Owner of hybrid vehicles will pay a $30 surcharge on top of registration fees, plus a $17 gasoline tax. Hybrids are considered any vehicle “that can be propelled at least in part by electrical energy” while using a battery storage system of “at least four kilowatt-hours,” according to the law’s language.

Ganganithi, with two hybrid vehicles, opted to register before the end of the year, saving him about $130. Next year, he will get socked with the full increase.

Al Fields, 63, of Detroit, renewed his registration on his birthday Friday at the Secretary of State Office on Grand Boulevard. He said he was "glad to have a December birthday" after hearing about the fee hike when the plan passed, as his 2014 Ford Mustang already costs $147, which includes the recreation passport.

"I think the roads need to be fixed, the money just has to be appropriately applied," Fields said.

Michigan drivers can renew their vehicle registrations up to six months in advance and will receive a notice from the state 45 days ahead of their renewal deadline. With that notice, registration renewal can be conducted in person at a Secretary of State Office, online or via mail. Without it, drivers will have to renew their registration in person, according to the Department of State’s website. http://www.freep.com/story/news/politic ... /95519264/
wvjohn

Re: Michigan love of hybrid cars ==========NOT

Post by wvjohn »

$30/yr for anything that runs in WV.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

It's $30 for tags in OH too. I don't understand why it hasn't been raised because our roads suck. Assuming the money was appropriated to roads, raising the fee by $10 would help a lot. I just got my 4-year driver's license renewed and it was only $30. I think a driver's license ought o cost a bit more than it does too. Raising a non-commercial license to $50 would also help with revenue. However, we have politicians running things and nobody wants to be known for raising taxes.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Why in hell should I have to pay a GAS tax if I DON'T USE ANY GAS? Now they can tax you on stuff you don't even buy?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

True, but to be fair gas taxes pay for maintenance of the roads you drive on, so some kind of tax will be neccesary once there's a lot of electric vehicles on the road.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "