when to change your Oil ?

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

when to change your Oil ?

Post by reno »

Ask five drivers how often you should have your oil changed, and you'll get five different answers.

That's because there is no simple rule anymore as to how often to change the oil, as there was back in the 1980s and '90s when the rule was "every 3,000 miles." Even Jiffy Lube has finally dropped that recommendation from its advertising.

We found John Martini and his daughter waiting on an oil change for their pickup truck, which can go almost 10,000 miles between changes, according to his car's computer and the alert light on his dashboard.

But Martini is not so sure.

"It doesn't even come up to say you need an oil change till 10,000 miles. Then you check that oil and its black," Martini said. So he said he is not waiting as long before his next oil change.

Confusion among car owners

What makes it so confusing these days is that oil change shops will say one thing, but your car's handbook says another. And now your car's dashboard sensor may even tell you something else, as it is analyzing the oil based on use, which may be different from the handbook.

Recent reports by car buying guide Edmunds.com, and The New York Times all say 3,000 mile oil changes are unnecessary in cars built since 2006. That's because of better oil and engine technology.

But at one independent shop that does dozens of oil changes a day, co-owner Todd Adams says he's seen too many people wait too long lately.

"I've seen some of these vehicles come in at 10,000 miles, and the type of oil that I see left after 10,000 miles, I wouldn't recommend that," Adams said.

Adams--like many independent mechanics these days--suggests most customers change their oil every 5,000-7,000 miles, even if the dashboard computer isn't ready yet.

Consumer Reports Magazine recommends a change ever 7,500 miles for most cars now.

While Mercedes, BMW, Mini and other some makes now push the 10,000 mile range between changes in the newest cars, Adams says you are not going to to harm the engine by changing it a little more frequently, even with synthetic oil.

If you want to keep your car a long time...

Dan Sweet, Another body shop manager we spoke with, agrees that the new, longer intervals are convenient, but not necessarily a great idea for engine longevity.

He specializes in European cars, including some Volvos with 500,000 miles on them, and said if you want your car's engine to run well past 100,000 miles, he suggested changing the oil more often than the dashboard reminder tells you.

Sweet says old, black oil will clog many internal engine parts, resulting in a repair bill that can reach the thousands of dollars. He said he's seen it time and again.

Adams said even if the dashboard monitor indicates you still have 15 percent oil life remaining after almost a year of driving, "Don't push it. It doesn't make any sense. When in doubt, change the oil."

He said that extra oil change is $60 of "cheap insurance."

And that way you don't waste your money. :bang
http://www.wxyz.com/money/consumer/dont ... ng-drivers
reno

Re: when to change your Oil ?

Post by reno »

I go 2500 miles on conventional oil , 5000 miles on synthetic oil with a new filter always.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Modern oil lasts a LONG time. I put so little mileage on my car that my computer only tells me to change the oil every year or so.

They proved several years ago that since modern oils don't break down quickly anymore, you could easily go a year or 10K miles on one lube. Eventually the only problem is how much crud builds up in the filter.

So yeah, if your computer says it's time to change the oil (it's based on mileage) then you might as well. If it takes a year before the alarm goes off, then don't sweat it. If you have a dumb car then do 3 or 4K miles if you want to play safe (as they say it's cheap insurance) but don't sweat it if you let it go longer.

ALSO I would recommend to always take your car to a dealer for an oil change. Dealers nowadays don't charge anymore than a Jiffy Lube does, and at least the dealer has qualified techs doing the lubes, while the Jiffy Lube (or equivalent) might have a bunch of teenagers doing the work who half the time don't know if they're draining your engine oil or transmission fluid.

And BTW any dealer nowadays can change the oil in ANY make car. I take my Toyota and the Wife's Lincoln to the GMC dealer for oil changes in addition to the GMC Yukon.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

When I was racing go-karts in the 70's, we recruited a buddy from work and got him hooked on the sport. I was in my early 20's and he was mid 30's. He told us a hot rod trick to use: if your car holds 5 quarts, replace one quart with ATF. So I did that on my 71 El Camino, and put over 300,000 miles on the motor. I know it was the ATF that kept the pistons and valves clean, because I had a head gasket leak that needed to be replaced. When I took the car in for the repair, they said it may need a valve job etc due to the mileage. The mechanic called me the next days and wanted to know what I was doing to the motor, because all they had to do was remove the head, scrap off the old gasket, and install the new gasket. There was no carbon build up, and the valves were still in excellent condition. Good old cast iron block I guess.

With that being said, I currently do not do that with modern cars, but once I get close to an oil change, I will add 1 pint of ATF and drive it for several hundred miles before it gets changed. I only use synthetic oil since it's a superior oil can can go to 10k before it needs to be changed.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've always either changed it when the book tells me or when the gremlin in the dash says so. My Challenger is every 6K and the Town and Country starts pinging at 5,500 miles. However the stupid van also eats 1 to 2 quarts between changes. I have no idea where it's going.

I do think modern cars ought to have an oil level sensor if they are going to let them go 10K miles between changes.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I run T6 full synthetic in my 1.9l VW diesel. Plenty of people doing the same thing have over 500k on their motors.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I go about 5000 miles these days. Earlier than recommended, but it seems about right. The oil has that dark but still a little left in it consistency which is reassuring. You can actually have your oil tested at http://www.blackstone-labs.com to see how it's doing. Lots of trucking companies do it to extend the life of the oil in their trucks.
reno

Post by reno »

PRICE LISTINGS
Karl Fisher Water Test

$38.00

Chlorine

$50.00

Emulsified oil

$70.00

Grease

$40.00

On-Spec Waste Oil

$175.00

Particle Count

$25.00

PCB analysis (full)

$105.00

PCB screen

$31.00

Standard Analysis

$28.00
Soot $10.00

PRICE LISTINGS
Oil + % Ash

$85.00

Solvent

$36.00

Specific Gravity

$24.00

Sulfur

$55.00

TAN

$10.00

TBN

$10.00

Total Halogens (TOX)

$60.00

Total Halogens Screen

$45.00

Viscosity @ 100°F

$38.00

Viscosity Index

$38.00

interesting wonder what the turnaround time is ?
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

You can do a rush, but usually a week.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

If you're going to send oil in for a sample, I'd recommend sending two samples. One from the pool of fresh oil and one from the used oil. Some oil manufacturers add metals for wear reduction. If your used oil contains metals, they may not be an indicator of engine wear. It could be from the oil itself. A fresh sample compared to a used sample will remove any doubt about engine wear.