My new to me trailer

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
wvjohn

My new to me trailer

Post by wvjohn »

My 1991 Coleman pop-up was getting to be much for me to handle getting it up and down, and showing some age. So I'm moving up to a 1961 Shasta Airflyte which basically only needs to be parked. After I finish fixing whatever needs fixed. This one is all original except for the ice box (little fridge instead). The guy I'm getting it from has had it since 1983. This is definitely a wing and a prayer type deal - bought it on Ebay sight unseen, but had a lot of talks with the guy. It's in Buffalo NY and my handyman is going to make it magically appear in my driveway in the next week or so. I'll keep you posted!

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: My new to me trailer

Post by FlyingPenguin »

THAT'S A CLASSIC!

There's a fad around here where they're making new trailers that look retro.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

This is a Shasta Airflyte 1961 and Shasta recently did a reissue of this exact model. Sort of. Instead of a propane furnace and propane lights, you get AC and bluetooth. old skool for me, thx. Plus I read that they had to do a recall on the whole run of new ones because the screwed up the wheel well size and the tires were scraping. The fins will keep it stable at 50 mph..lol
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

we use to own a 1959 Trotwood till maybe 7 years ago . didn't have the wings on the rear above the windows like this one . it said it sleep 5 people.
the fifth person better of been a child do.. as that person had to sleep in what seem like a army stretcher. it was 2 wood poles with a cloth canvas that hung from side wall to side wall and maybe 1.5 ft below the ceiling . someone stole the furnace from it when we left it one summer on are river property in West Branch ,Michigan. sold /gave it away to are neighbors couple years back . they used it for some time -not sure if they still own it do his wife got it in a divorce . it was white and green . look like the one is this link kind of . https://www.pinterest.com/pin/307863324500171951/
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Finally got someone lined up to get it down here. My handyman has a big truck and was going to borrow a car trailer, but couldn't find anything big enough to borrow. Finally had to go through U-Ship via Ebay . I'm going to end up paying close to $4 mile to get it here. First time I'd heard of/used U-Ship, but seems like a decent tool. You put your shipment up and people bid on it. There was a shipper that popped up at the end of the Ebay auction for less, but I couldn't get the order to go through. Finally called U-Ship and they figured out that carrier doesn't do trailers, but they helped me by sending out a request for bids to their regulars, and I got three or four bids. I ended up paying a premium to get a guy who has been doing it for 30 yrs, but I wanted it done right. You pay U-Ship the hauling fee and a listing fee for your auction, then they act as escrow agent until stuff is delivered. The you give the hauler a code or mark it delivered on the U-Ship site and the carrier gets paid. Carriers have reviews and profiles like Ebay. If you are not shipping something weird like an old trailer it's probably competitive with other shipping.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

There was a reality show that features that U-Ship if I recall. The people bid on transporting your stuff.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

It finally got here! It is in good shape overall. Needs some cleaning, cushions replaced it. Hauler who brought it had a cool 18 wheel flatbed rig with a channel down the middle. He had a metal block inside the channel with a couple of trailer balls on it that moved, so he could just winch stuff on, and let out slack to get stuff off.