Retrofit old car radio for USB, aux in & Bluetooth

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Retrofit old car radio for USB, aux in & Bluetooth

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Even if you old car has a radio that doesn't even have an aux input, most cars going back two decades have a harness in the dash for add-ons like a trunk CD changer. The modules these guys sell connect to those and add modern connectivity options, without replacing the radio.

http://gromaudio.com/

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Re: Retrofit old car radio for USB, aux in & Bluetooth

Post by Pugsley »

VW... one of the most documented car makers out there.

Plus for that much $150 you can just get a pioneer head unit and a harness adapter and have a better radio then stock and still have all the BT bells and whistles.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ya, but some people prefer the stock radio. Like on my old 2007 Camry which I just gave to a friend. If I had kept it, this would be temping. An aftermarket radio would have looked funky in that sculpted center console dash. Sadly all it had was an aux in.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Sorry... when I think older car im thinking mid 90's not late 2000 when everything was custom.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Nice, but a bummer that it's a little pricey. I was expecting to see it below $100.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can find some of their units priced a bit cheaper on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... grom+audio

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Caveat with Grom units. I have one in my Odyssey and the Mic works 20% of the time (got the BT/Mic version) to the point I dont bother trying to use it for calls. The BT mode works fine for audio, but half the time the display does not show track info on the radio, and when using the steering wheel controls does not advance tracks correctly. So I just use the phone for controls.

Dunno how firmware behaves on other models. As a BT receiver for my stereo, it's fine. All the other functionality is so hit or miss I dont bother with it.