Ford Sued Over Defective Lug Nuts By Thousands Of Owners

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
Err
Life Member

Ford Sued Over Defective Lug Nuts By Thousands Of Owners

Post by Err »

I suspect we'll see more of this with other car companies. I know first hand that Chrysler's lug nuts are junk. Our van had the capped lug nuts. One night after rotating the wheels, I couldn't get the lugs to tighten on the right rear. I had my torque wrench set for 95 ft.lbs. and it just wouldn't click. The other wheels had tightened just fine. I first thought that my wrench had broken but when I tried it on an already tightened wheel, it clicked. I tried again and ended up snapping a lug off. I had to replace the entire right rear hub and bearing (one unit: bearing, hub, and speed sensor) and bought new lug nuts that were solid and not capped.

I ended up buying this brand: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 They've been on for almost a year and haven't rusted. You probably have to purchase a new lug wrench to keep in the car, the solid lugs tend to run slightly larger.

https://www.motor1.com/news/178138/ford ... nuts-suit/
The lug nuts in question have a steel core with a chrome, aluminum, or stainless decorative cap. The same lug nuts design has been used on many European Ford models in the last two decades, but this is the first suit over them globally.

"At best this defect leads to consumers paying more than $30 per wheel at a repair shop just to get their tire off, and then have to buy new lug nuts," Berman also added. "At worst, Ford owners could quickly end up in an emergency situation on a busy roadway, stranded with a flat tire and no way to change it."
I know that this won't apply if you're on the side of the road, but if you're at home a smaller socket should remove the lug. You'll still need new lug nuts.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: Ford Sued Over Defective Lug Nuts By Thousands Of Owners

Post by reno »

this has been a problem for years with lug nuts -and i'm talking years from the 60s at least with caps on the steel lug nuts. not something new at all on all car makers .