New Clutch for Challenger

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
Err
Life Member

New Clutch for Challenger

Post by Err »

After 117K miles, my 2010 Challenger R/T finally needs a clutch. It started grinding into reverse unless I put it in Neutral, 1st, and then into reverse. Even then I had to let out on the clutch to get it to go. I received a recall notice for the Passenger Side Airbag Inflator the other day so I decided to get them both done. Although this is the first major repair due to wear, this one's hard on the wallet.
Pugsley

Re: New Clutch for Challenger

Post by Pugsley »

That sounds like a throw out bearing rather then the clutch. A bad clutch will slip. A worn throw out bearing will make it hard to get into gears because its not fully disengaging the clutch.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Pugsley wrote:That sounds like a throw out bearing rather then the clutch. A bad clutch will slip. A worn throw out bearing will make it hard to get into gears because its not fully disengaging the clutch.
That makes more sense. The car didn't slip at all. I never smelled anything either.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

If its a hydraulic pedal instead of a mechanical it could have a leak, be low on fluid or need to be bled. Im not to familiar with how new cars a build but I have a hydraulic setup on my Sandrail and any air gets in the system the clutch wont totally disengage due to the air and ill have a hard time getting in gear. Then I can go crack the bleeder and have some one push the pedal once and close it and top off the brake fluid (clutch uses brake fluid) and its good to go again. I only get air in it when extreme off roading from going up steep hills and it sucking air because the rubber seal on the pedal reservoir is ripped and it leaks when going up or down steep hills.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

It's hydraulic. I didn't check the fluid before I took it in. I didn't even think to. To bleed the clutch on a the Challengers, you simply depress the clutch about 200 times. I found the procedure when looking at a mod for the clutch. It seems that Dodge put a flow restrictor in the return line so those less experiences with a standard don't jack rabbit when they take off. However, for those used to driving a standard, it introduces a slight delay when shifting. I was going to remove it until I started looking at where the lines were. It's not something I wish to fool with because the lines are just too hard to get to unless you can get the car way up in the air.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah on a car I would imagine that the master cylinder (pedal) is the highest point in the system so it auto bleeds. On my buggy the slave sits higher then the master so the air will run to it.