electrical short in my convertible ?

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

electrical short in my convertible ?

Post by reno »

my 2006 chrysler sebring convertible has a short. something draining the battery if the car sits for a day or two . I checked all the relays and fuse's no light are staying on that i can see .there no hood or trunk light in this model so that's out of the possible problems . the radio funky the volume knob will work sometimes. others times it has to be played with to turn the volume up. did look into replacing it but cant locate a face plate aftermarket for this car. I have looked by doing a google search and came up empty also ebay .think it do to being 12 year old now .
i'm looking at buying one of these tester - EM415PRO Professional Automotive Cable Wire Tracker Short / Open Circuit Finder Tester
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P0 ... TKS2W83BWY
anyone ever owned one or know if they work,
Pugsley

Re: electrical short in my convertible ?

Post by Pugsley »

Try disconnecting the voltage regulator or alternator.. I don't know Chrysler well but I have seen fords and GMs have bad regulators that will pull a quarter amp when off.

Remove the positive and put a amp meter between the battery and the wire (quickly) and see what the draw is. then go around pulling fuses to see when it drops. if you pull all fuses and it does not change or you can try it first disconnect the voltage regulator or alternator and see if it drops off.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I hope you track down your short.

I looked up your car on Crutchfied and it says this adapter will work: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120996503 ... h-Kit.html

Check out the reviews and see if anyone put it in a Sebring. If it fits, you can get a decent CD player, adapter, and harness for ~$150. I've used Crutchfield in the past and their harnesses are easy to wire.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Listen to Pugsley. My experience that a drain is almost always an alternator or starter. I've honestly never needed that tester, but I know people who swear by it. As for the radio, I suspect it would be cheaper just to replace it honestly. Head units aren't that expensive these days. I could probably help you out with that ;)
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

One of my friends had a Sebring Convertible with a random drain on the battery. Ended up being the light on the sun visor. The switch died and the light would never shut off. Ended up having to disconnect it. Only way we found out was the small source of light when we shut the car off at night.
reno

Post by reno »

thanks i look into the light this next week i have had a problem with it on the past. the tester arrived thursday but no time to use it yet other then play with it on my desk and install the battery's that came with it .it did come with a nice cloth zipper case .for $30.00 im not expecting it to be really fantastic tester like something from Snap-on cost hundreds !
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

You might also check to make sure your trunk or hood lights are going out when closed (if you have them). Frequently the switches get stuck.
reno

Post by reno »

the end of my electrical problem -I donated the car to (make a wish foundation )problem taken care of. :)
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

That's one way to fix it. LOL.