Surveillance Video of Tesla Exploding

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
Err
Life Member

Surveillance Video of Tesla Exploding

Post by Err »

https://jalopnik.com/surveillance-video ... 1834211204
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Surveillance Video of Tesla Exploding

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah was watching that this morning. I'm not normally upset when people post CRASH fires in Teslas. Any car can burn in a crash. But this is concerning, and I think it would likely be the first case of a spontaneous fire in a Tesla while parked and turned off.

I'm sure both the authorities and Tesla will be crawling all over it to figure it out.

That sure looks like a classic Lion battery cascade failure. The question is did something damage that battery, was the battery defective, or was it electrical like the charging system? I don't see a charger behind it, although that sure looks like a private parking space.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Since this is in China I bet it's gonna come to light that someone tampered with it, or used copy parts, or some bullshit.

There are some breakdowns of the Tesla cells and this sort of thing would be VERY surprising just sitting there.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

A commenter on ARS pointed out that the Tesla was right beside the Audi parked in spot 007. Perhaps this is Spy on Spy crime.
Err
Life Member

Tesla is Updating Battery Software After Model S Catches Fire in Hong Kong

Post by Err »

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-updating- ... 1834794877
A Tesla Model S caught fire in a Hong Kong parking lot on Sunday, less than a month after video of a Model S bursting into flames in Shanghai, China went viral. Now, “out of an abundance of caution,” Tesla says, the company is making software changes that could reduce the risk of batteries catching fire.
From the comments: