1 in 5 electric vehicle owners switch back to gas.

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners switch back to gas.

Post by reno »

Roughly 20% of electric vehicle owners in California replaced their cars with gas ones, a recent study shows.
The main reason drivers made the switch was the inconvenience of charging.
The findings suggest new challenges facing the growth of the nascent electric vehicle market.
In roughly three minutes, you can fill the gas tank of a Ford Mustang and have enough range to go about 300 miles with its V8 engine.

But for the electric Mustang Mach-E, an hour plugged into a household outlet gave Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan just three miles of range.
Standard home outlets generally deliver 120 volts, powering what electric vehicle aficionados call "Level 1" charging, while the higher-powered specialty connections at 240 volts are known as "Level 2." By comparison, Tesla's "Superchargers," which can fully charge its cars in a little over an hour, run on 480 volts.
That difference is night and day, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Energy by University of California Davis researchers Scott Hardman and Gil Tal that surveyed Californians who purchased an electric vehicle between 2012 and 2018.

Roughly one in five plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) owners switched back to owning gas-powered cars, in large part because charging the batteries was a pain in the… trunk, the researchers found.
https://www.businessinsider.in/1-in-5-e ... 332806.cms

for me any anyone taking long road trip there just not practical to own.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: 1 in 5 electric vehicle owners switch back to gas.

Post by Executioner »

Then you have the other issue with electric - is there enough electrical infrastructure to support the increase in use of electricity.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Someone did the math and said that we'd need to build a 1G nuclear plant every 3 weeks until 2035 to produce enough power if we completely went electric. It was based on the average EV's electrical consumption per mile and the over 3 trillion miles we drive in the country every year.

It's also not practical if you do long road trips. One of our friends just got the new Tesla and they had to plan everything around finding superchargers. Mostly because while they spent the night, he had to settle for regular 110v that I have in my garage, so he showed me that it gets him just 4 miles for every hour of charging, at 110v. That's just pathetic. When they were heading back up (it's just over 4 hours driving) they had to plan their stops where there's chargers. Screw that. I thought about it and timed my gas refill. I pulled in, fueled up and was back in the car in under 6 minutes with fresh range of 480 miles on the gauge.
------------------------------------------

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

its crazy my nephew's both bought gm volts one owns 2 of them . i like to see them drive them from Michigan to here in florida . using only the electrical power not use the gas motor in them ! the volt a joke anyway it kind of a half breed electric seeing it has a gas back up power motor in them.
now Im seeing GM pushing there 2023 CADILLAC LYRIQ electric car. this is not even avail till next year. there it sound like its so special getting OVER 300 MILES RANGE†
CADILLAC ESTIMATED WITH A FULL CHARGE.
and i love how company's use the new math to sell a product - The average Cadillac XT5 owner travels 40 miles a day.† Compare that with LYRIQ’s Cadillac estimated over 300 miles of range† with a full charge, and it’s clear LYRIQ is poised to bring your destinations comfortably within range.
https://www.cadillac.com/electric/lyriq ... technology
makes me also wonder how these company's are handling owner who live in very cold area. keeping these cars warm and still have plenty of power to get the advertise mileage advertised per charge?