Sitting in the back bragging about the lane assist feature, crash on the highway

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Sitting in the back bragging about the lane assist feature, crash on the highway

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Darwin award runner up...

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Sitting in the back bragging about the lane assist feature, crash on the highway

Post by Executioner »

These people should NEVER be allowed to drive again.
Err
Life Member

Re: Sitting in the back bragging about the lane assist feature, crash on the highway

Post by Err »

These systems need to do a better job registering a driver. They also need to be programmed to pull over and stop if they sense the car is over the edge line.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I have had rentals with that feature... thats why the bottle of water is wedged in there so the car thinks your hands are still on the wheel. if it detects no feedback from the wheel it will alarm out. That car was never meant to be self driving. It just lane assist and on some cars its down right horrible what the car thinks is center.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

are new GMC Acadia has the lane assist .it take a bit of getting use to . it will pull you back right or left unless you have your turn signal activated.
the steer wheel has a sensor that know if you have your hands off it for more then a couple of seconds .then the buzzards scream at you . it also has the sensors that go off if the car thinks you need to brake. this is the worst . when in rush hour and back up in traffic . if there a red car in front of you. when its bumper to bumper like in a line to enter a freeway it can the color red car set off this warning in your car. even if there plenty of room in front .the windshield warning light will go on. your car may start auto braking for you to till it feels there enough room. this has happen a couple of times now .other color cars there no problem if all distance remain the same. odd and freaky we think it pick up the red tail lights on most cars .but on some not all red cars it doing it job just to good . the first time it happens to come on you do get a little freak out. we were in Mount Dora ,Fl. and it may of also been sun reflection off the red car. others times we were in Tampa and it was around dusk . had red cars in front of us back up trying to get on the I- 275 from Bearss Ave. in Tampa. about dusk again with the sun behind us .
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

My Camry has lane assist and I like it. However, I'd advise turning it off in the snow because when it can't see the edge of the lane it tends to make it up. I was driving on a snow covered highway and I think it was sensing previous tire tracks or something because it kept nudging me. I first thought the road was just getting slick but then looked down in time to see the indicator go off. I've also had false positives with the brake assist. There's a couple of reflective guardrails I came across that will set it off when the sun is just right.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My Audi had lane assist and it would basically drive itself for about 10 secs then bitch if you didn't have the wheel. Same thing on our new Lincoln Corsair.

Great features but morons like those think it's foolproof.
------------------------------------------