Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage

Post by reno »

Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage after Hurricane Ian, Florida official warns.
A top Florida state official warned Thursday that firefighters have battled a number of fires caused by electric vehicle (EV) batteries waterlogged from Hurricane Ian.

EV batteries that have been waterlogged in the wake of the hurricane are at risk of corrosion, which could lead to unexpected fires, according to Jimmy Patronis, the state's top financial officer and fire marshal.
"There’s a ton of EVs disabled from Ian. As those batteries corrode, fires start," Patronis tweeted Thursday. "That’s a new challenge that our firefighters haven’t faced before. At least on this kind of scale."

"It takes special training and understanding of EVs to ensure these fires are put out quickly and safely," he continued in a follow-up tweet. "Thanks to [North Collier Fire Rescue] for their hard work."
guess there some cars used people wont have to worry if they buy were Flood Cars !
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/electric-ve ... ricane-ian
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ya I think I read that there have been around 9 incidents like this. Something that should have been foreseen, and needs to be dealt with in future EV designs.

As I understand it this can only happen if salt water gets inside the battery case (the car has a fuse if it shorts out after the battery), and the battery case is supposed to be sealed water tight. Trouble is if a car is deep enough, banged around enough, or maybe previously took damage to the battery case from road debris, all bets are off.

Reminds me of when they started using LED street lights up north for the first time. No one seemed to realize that incandescent bulb street lights get hot, and thus melt any snow that covers them. That first year the LED lights started getting obscured by caked snow after blizzards and they had to send crews around to wipe them off. As I understand it, now they have some kind of smart heater that melts the snow.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage

Post by Losbot »

Not gonna get started on the EV topic. LOL
------------------------------------------