The Legend of Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway. The world's fastest driveway.

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

The Legend of Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway. The world's fastest driveway.

Post by FlyingPenguin »

In 1964, when Interstate 40 was being built through California's Mojave Desert to replace Route 66, construction of the interstate was set to cut right through Bonnie Margaret Orcutt's driveway. This would have cut her house off from Route 66, and every other road, but Mrs. Orcutt wasn't going down with out a fight. After letters were written to the President of the United States, it was decided that the government will build Mrs. Orcutt a road to connect her to the nearest onramp to I-40, four miles away.

The road, which became known as Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway, was well maintained, flat, and perfectly straight. Not to mention that since it only had one house on it, there was very little traffic. In the early 1970s someone from Car and Driver Magazine found it and realized it would be a great place to speed test cars. With a number of magazine articles and cars hitting over 200 miles-per-hour on the road, Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway became legendary.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: The Legend of Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway. The world's fastest driveway.

Post by reno »

wild story of the modern old west
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: The Legend of Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway. The world's fastest driveway.

Post by Losbot »

So the house is now a fixer-upper? LOL
------------------------------------------