iPad Gen1, FREE to a good home

Computer Parts, Games, DVD's, ex-girfriends..well you get the idea. No dealers, referral links, spam, or auctions. Please be sure your email shows in your profile and to post a price when selling.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

iPad Gen1, FREE to a good home

Post by FlyingPenguin »

iPad Gen1 (no camera) 16GB, with a nice red leather case, charger (not original), old style Apple ear buds, and two data/charge cables. Free to a good home. Not a scratch on it - the wife hardly used it.

Still functional, and surprisingly long battery life still left in it. Only down side is most modern apps won't run on it. It can't be upgraded beyond iOS 5.1.1 and Apple no longer supports it.

Good tablet for a child, although quite usable by an adult.

Still works fine, with limitations. Safari browser is useless. It always was VERY unstable on iPad1 when they upgraded to iOS 5.x due to RAM limitations, and crashes a lot in Safari. I wouldn't even bother trying to use Safari. I have an old version of Dolphin browser on it instead. YouTube app is no longer supported but YouTube videos play fine in Dolphin. I also have Opera Mini browser on there, which is a full size iPad browser, but doesn't work with YouTube.

I have several apps installed that are older versions and run fine on it JUST DON'T UPGRADE THE APPS! The newer updated versions generally don't support anything before iOS 7, and if you upgrade an app, you generally can't go back unless you do what I did and have the old copy backed up in iTunes, and backup that iTunes data folder.

Since I backup my iTunes data folder every months (monthly Acronis image), I still have copies of old versions of apps that work on this, so what I did was I wiped the iPad clean to get rid of my wife's personal data, and then installed the old apps from my local iTunes folder. I have the following apps installed:

Dolphin Browser (older phone version, so it's not pretty but it works)
Opera Mini Browser
Pandora
Carmageddon (game)
Angry Birds (game)
Dumb Ways to Die (game)
Kindle Reader
Audible Books
NPR News

There's also a list on this page of games that will work on an iPad Gen1:
https://www.reddit.com/r/iosgaming/comm ... _of_games/

First person that PM's me gets it.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'll take it. I can use it on my train ride to work.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Done!
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "