WTB/WTTF: PCI Graphics Card

Computer Parts, Games, DVD's, ex-girfriends..well you get the idea. No dealers, referral links, spam, or auctions. Please be sure your email shows in your profile and to post a price when selling.
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

WTB/WTTF: PCI Graphics Card

Post by GuardianAsher »

This is a call to all my fellow hoarders! I know a bunch of you have this stuff laying around in a box somewhere.

My fiance and I have the bug to play some old PC games we used to play growing up. Already tried the virtual PC route, but a lot of these games are CPU speed sensitive and just don't run right on newer hardware. Therefore, with the nostalgia bug in full swing, I'm looking for some older PC parts to try and build up a rig for Windows 98/DOS gaming. Thought I'd hit here before I set off for the likes of our favorite auction site. And I kick myself because I used to have boxes of these old parts just laying around.

Edit: Found a bunch of stuff! What I still need/want is below!

What I'm looking for:

Graphics cards: PCI graphics card. Not really bothered about what kind. Anything PCI should do, as long as it's better than the cruddy SiS onboard I'm running now.

Let me know what you got, and what you want for it. I plan on scavenging around the GoodWill shops around town, but hedging my bets just in case.

Thank you all! And an early Merry Christmas! :santa
Last edited by GuardianAsher on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: WTB 'Vintage' PC Bits and Bobs

Post by Losbot »

I used to play Simcopter like crazy. Loved it! Now you've got me feeling nostalgic. lol
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I'll look and see what I have laying around. For DOS games, try using D-Fend Reloaded. It's a DOXBOX front end that makes setting up games much easier and and setting to adjust processor speeds. I used it recently to install and play Burnout: Championship Drag Racing. The only problem I ran into was some of the old DRM where the .exe looks for the CD. Even though I'd ripped the image and had it mounted, I still got the CD missing error. I ended up finding a CD crack (scan the bejesus out of these - Megagames is still up and has a wide selection of cracks.) There are also wrappers for DOSbox that will even allow you to run GLIDE accelerated games.

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Only thing I can offer are some IDE drives if the CF card doesn't work out. Have a few in goid condition.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

Was talking to one of my friends and casually mentioned my quest. He just so happened to have (most of) an old PC in his closet that fit the bill perfectly.

I am now the proud owner of an HP Pavilion 4350. AMD K6-2 350MHz CPU, Super Socket 7 ASUS P5S-VM ATX motherboard with inbuilt VGA and IDE controller, 32MB of SDRAM, and a Rockwell Riptide Audio/Modem combo card. I also managed to scavenge up a 256MB stick of PC100 that I plan on popping into it, just because. Was able to trade an old ASUS eeePC 1000H netbook that I had sitting in the bottom of the closet for it. One closet PC for another, not a bad deal.

Losbot: It's an awesome game. I spent many an hour playing it in the school computer lab. So much fun being able to play games during class. The good ol days.

Err: Thanks for looking, I appreciate it. I have downloaded D-Fend because I have a bunch of DOS games I'd like to play as well, and even though I will have this PC to run them, it'll be nice to... not have to :P

FP: Greatly appreciate the offer! The only thing this PC didn't come with was the hard drive, so I'll have to use my CF Card setup, but if I run into any major issues, I'll probably hit you up for one of those hard drives. Looks like this motherboard only supports HDs below 32GB without a BIOS update, and HP delisted this PC off their support site years ago so I can't pull the latest OEM one. ASUS has a BIOS update for the non-HP version of the board, but I'm hesitant to try and flash it to this board.

Appreciate you guys!
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

@GuardianAsher

I've also been ripping my old games to ISO using ImgBurn. D-Fend can mount images so you don't have to hunt down your disks every time you want to play. I also keep an eye on GOG.com for releases as it's easier to re buy some of these games rather than try to get them to work. I wish someone would come out with a DOSbox like emulation that would run 16 bit windows games. I know I could install a virtual machine but several of GOG's releases were 16 bit Windows games. I'd like to know how they are porting them.

Good luck.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I don't have much I'm willing to part with but I found an Aztech Sound Galaxy ISA soundcard / 14.4K modem.

Pics and description here: http://www.recycledgoods.com/aztech-138 ... -card.html

2 sticks of Smart Brand 4mb (YES, MB) MEMORY 72 Pin FPM SIMM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Brand-4mb ... mQRZLc090A

I also have a PB C110 and a Gateway P3 but I'm not wanting to part with them at this time even though I don't use them. I have a Voodoo 5 5500 in the P3 running on Windows 2K. Both machines have more sentimental value than anything else. The C110 was my first computer. I used it throughout collage and for a bit at work. It came with a Pentium 120 but I obtained a 230 overdrive processor and I think a Verge graphics card. The funny part is that these computers are highly reliable and will probably still boot.
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Re: WTB/WTTF: PCI Graphics Card

Post by GuardianAsher »

Err:

Completely understand about not wanting to let go of your old gear. If any of my old PCs had been salvageable when I was done with them, I would have loved to have held onto them. I had bits and pieces of all of my old PCs up until a few years ago when I did a mass purge to move to a smaller place.

Doing a little research on that sound card shows it's a Yamaha OPL3 based card, which means it should have excellent DOS support. The Rockwell Riptide sound card/modem this HP came with can do decently in DOS as it has Sound Blaster support, but it sounds kind of... off. However, I've been using D-Fend for my DOS games as you suggested, and it's been working pretty well. The old PC is now pretty much being used exclusively for old Win9x games that don't play well with modern PCs, so SimCopter and the like. Right now I just need a little graphics horsepower to get the old girl running right. I might still be interested in the Aztech. Shoot me a PM and let me know what the price is.

If anyone's got an old PCI card they're willing to part with, that'd be awesome. Even something more modern ought to be fine for my needs, now that I don't need it to play well with DOS. GeForce 2,4,5,6 series or equivalent Radeons are fine. Let me know if you got anything! And thanks again all. This has been the most fun I've had messing with PCs in years. Doing it as a career burns you out on stuff. Sometimes you just have to have some fun.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

@GuardianAsher. PM sent. I never had problems when I was using that sound card. The PB C110 only had 2 ISA slots on a Riser card. I added a 56K modem at some point and then replacing the modem with a Ethernet Card for work and I think I replaced the Aztech with another soundcard but I don't remember why I did so. It may have been clearance issues once I added a PCI video card. This Aztech is almost as long as my GTX 1080.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Since I moved last year, I got rid of all of my old stuff. Boxes of it. I sold most if it in two garage sales, but what was left I took it to the local PC shop. Guy gave me $25 for 2 remaining boxes. Anyway, I think I still have a ISA sound blaster card. I'll have to look. Let me know if you are interested in the card.