Free to a good home: 5th Gen 64GB iPod Touch

Computer Parts, Games, DVD's, ex-girfriends..well you get the idea. No dealers, referral links, spam, or auctions. Please be sure your email shows in your profile and to post a price when selling.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Free to a good home: 5th Gen 64GB iPod Touch

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not sure if anyone wants or needs one of these, but I hear DJ's and Karaoke people still like them.

This is a 2016 5th gen 64GB iPod Touch. I haven't used it in a few years but it's been kept in a fridge to keep the battery from deteriorating. Still seems to have a good battery. I charged it up a couple of weeks ago, turned it off and when I checked today, it still had a nearly full battery. I've left it on for a few hours while playing around with it and the battery is still nearly full.

I just used a free app called EaseUS MobiMover to transfer a few MP3 songs to it from my PC to see if that still works to bypass iTunes. I did this after a factory reset without entering an apple account and it worked fine:
https://www.easeus.com/iphone-data-tran ... itunes.htm

iTunes should also work or you can transfer music from an iCloud account, but if you don't want to log into an Apple account, that free app will do the job.

The screen is cracked, but I used it that way for a couple of years. It's still readable and the touch screen works fine. I have a screen protector on it to keep the glass from cracking any worse, and to protect finger tips.

I'll toss in a set of Apple ear buds (yes, this iPod has an audio jack), a lightning to USB cable and a charger.

Free to a good home and I'll pay shipping. Better than tossing it in a land fill, if someone can use it.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Free to a good home: 5th Gen 64GB iPod Touch

Post by Executioner »

Do some of the apps work without using an Apple account?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Free to a good home: 5th Gen 64GB iPod Touch

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Most of the pre installed apps should work, although most will be outdated and kind of pointless since your phone can do them better, and the screen is pretty small. The built in ibooks app probably needs an account as does the podcast app. Not sure the podcast app would talk to their servers though.

The apps will also be outdated and I'm not sure if the app store still supports this thing. For reference it's running iOS 9, so you'd need to check if an app is compatible with that. I just looked and Audible requires iOS 15, so that probably won't work.

You would need an Apple account to download any apps from the store, and I think an account is necessary for app updates. You can easily sign up for a free Apple Account, though. Again, not sure if this would talk to the servers as Apple considers it discontinued.

I really don't see using this as anything but a music player. That's how I always used it. Before Android handled music and podcasts decently, this was my go to device for that in the car or on the bike. I does have Bluetooth and I've used it via BT with my sound bar.

FYI, although discontinued, these things aren't exactly rare. Casual search on Ebay turns up hundreds of these for sale, even new in boxes: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... acat=73839
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "