Motherboard Temp

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
impuresoul2k3

Motherboard Temp

Post by impuresoul2k3 »

Everyone talks about their cpu temp, but no one talks about the motherboard. What's a good temp for the motherboard to be at? what's too high?
Athlon 3500+
1.5gb PC4200 Ram
nVidia 7600GS
DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer
Segate 160gb HD
Sweet 15" CRT!

Heat
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well you never really measure the motherboard temp. The 2nd temp sensor is usually the case temperature (although some very premium mobos may also have a northbridge chipset temp sensor).

Case temp doesn't really matter. The case temp varies depending on where you measure it - and it's always warmer at the top of the case.The case temp will be affected by how well your case ventilates and how much heat is produced by the drives, video card, CPU, etc.

Case temp will always be lower than the CPU temp. You'll never have a situation where the case temp is too high and the CPU is okay.

The most important temps to worry about are the CPU temp and the GPU (graphics processor) temp. The mobo chipset temp is important only if it has a fan on it and it fails. I prefer to replace the chipset fan with a non-fan Zalman heatsink and never have to worry about it.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

impuresoul2k3

Post by impuresoul2k3 »

Thanks for clearing up the mis-information, but just to be sure, I can completely ignore the second sensor in ASUS Probe

-Nate
Athlon 3500+
1.5gb PC4200 Ram
nVidia 7600GS
DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer
Segate 160gb HD
Sweet 15" CRT!

Heat
Deeconz
Goober Member

Post by Deeconz »

I have same question really - using ASUS Probe on . . . .

MotherBoard: A8N32-SLI-DELUX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ Socket 939 1MB

I get 47C CPU and 49C Motherboard temp under no load. Under load both go up over 50C but the Motherboard is always 2-4C higher temp than the CPU. This seems wrong to me.