Advanced Chipset Features Settings

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
PatrickScott
Goober Member

Advanced Chipset Features Settings

Post by PatrickScott »

Greetings,

I build this computer a few years back but never bothered to change the settings except changing the FSB Frequency from 100 to 133MHZ. I know nothing about setting up the Advanced Chipset Features... and would like to set it up for best performance.

Motherboard: EPoX EP-8RDA+ Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard CPU: Athlon XP 1800+ Thoroughbred 266MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXDA1800BOX
OS Windows XP Pro
I have a single, CPU Fan

Currently my Settings are:
System Performance: Optimal
CPU Clock Ratio: Default
FSB Frequency: 133MHz

My Computer Settings state: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.5 GHz 1.00 BG RAM.

Any suggestions to improve the performance?

THANKS!

:) :)
PatrickScott
Goober Member

Post by PatrickScott »

Additional Information related to above message:

During the last 3-4 months, when I boot up, the following occasionally happens:
(1) nothing happens, there is nothing on the monitor, there are no beeping sounds; or
(2) there are repeating beeping sounds; and when I reboot, it boots up correctly.

I have noticed that the boot script indicates in RED: VDD 1.44 V for a fraction of a second then it changes to in black VDD 1.51 or greater and it boots up properly.

I contacted Expox and tried the steps they recommended: unplugging the computer, pushing the power button for 10 seconds to clear the board, removing the battery and shorting the "+" and "-"; clearing the JCMOS, etc.

I still have the same problem. What is VDD? I presume and indication that there isn't enough voltage or something like that. Is it an indication that the motherboard is going bad? It seems to happen more ofter when the computer/room is cold.

I plan on using this motherboard until it crashes.

Thanks!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Welcome to PCA.

I would recommend you leave the advanced chipset settings alone unless you intend to overclock, and I do not recommend you overclock.

That's normally a nice stable motherboard but many 8RDA's came with defective capacitors. A leaking or bad capacitor will cause the problems you describe. You should examine the board for defective capacitors - either with bulging tops or leaking brown crud. Some photo examples here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

If you see no bad capacitors then another possiblility is a cheap or bad power supply.

Hope this helps...
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

PatrickScott
Goober Member

Post by PatrickScott »

Thanks for the reply.

(1) I will leave the advanced chipset settings alone.
(2) I looked at the capacitors and, at first glance, they looked ok to me. On closer examination, I see that about 6 capacitors are bulging at the top and have some rusty colored spots on the top. THANKS for pointing that out to me.

I am surprised that I can still boot up! I purchased the motherboard in June of 2003 so I guess I've gotten some use out of it.

Question 1. Can I still safely use the computer until it dies? Is there a danger that it will catch on fire, etc? As soon as possible, I will buy a new motherboard. If the computer is safe to use, I will give it to my daughter and son in law.

Question 2. Once I buy a new motherboard, can I still safely use my Antec power supply, CPU (Athlon XP 1800 Thoroughbred. On second thought, I will buy a new CPU too.) graphics card, CPU cooling fan, hard drive, etc. If the other computer parts may have been damaged, I may be cheaper for me to buy a ready made computer. (I don't do any gaming.)

Thanks again!

P.S. I noticed that this morning when I changed the monitor from a 19 inch a 15 inch monitor, it boots up with no problem! I guess the smaller monitor requires less power.
Qui Gon-Jinn
Golden Member

Post by Qui Gon-Jinn »

excuse me if I went to far.. but I google map'd your location.. Rowlett TX.. and well.. your just the other side of Dallas from me up here in Lubbock..

if the cap's are bulgeing.. the mobo has life in it.. but who knows how much..

as far as a new mobo.. pickings are slim on the socket a market.. as in.. good luck finding a decent one.. I would avoid PC Chips.. BioStar and other low end mfg's..

now you say "I don't game".. well... I know I can get a good deal on a NEW pc for you.. mobo w/ onboard video and the option to upgrade that.. on board NIC and sound.. as far as CPU.. depends on what you want.. and case options are pretty open as well..

not going to advertise in this forum much.. but PM me.. and we can talk..

welcome to PCA.. where the coffee may be cold. but the conversation is hot..

Just because I am an a$$hole.. doesn't mean I don't care..

FCKGW RHQQ2 YXRKT 8TG6W 2B7Q8
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The mobo will keep getting worse and worse until it just won't boot anymore. A capacitor will continue functioning if it's bulging, but once it leaks it fails and if you lose a few the mobo just won't run.

It's not going to burst into flames or anything, but a capacitor CAN short circuit when it fails (fairly rare but possible) and if it does then you could damage the power supply.

Without properly functioning caps the voltage to the CPU and memory is going to be less filtered and long term use this way MAY damage the CPU or the RAM, although that's pretty unlikely.

It's possible to replace the bad capacitors, but it requires some good electronics soldering skills. I have the skills, but it's not something I enjoy doing and I just toss a board with bad caps. It's not worth the time or effort.

You're not going to find much in the way of new Socket A motherboards but you might find a used one. I'd put a want ad in the For Sale forum here. Someone may have an old socket A mobo lying around. You might also be able to find a refurbished one.

If you want the least technical hassles, and you know how to do a mobo install, I would recommend replacing it with another nForce2 chipset mobo. If you stay with the same chipset you can usually swap the mobo, boot up, and not have to do a repair install or re-install of Windows.

Just did a quick search and NewEgg has an Epox 8RDA3I Pro for $65 shipped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813123234

Hope this helps...
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

PatrickScott
Goober Member

Post by PatrickScott »

Thanks to both of you for the advice, information, sales offer and link to Epox 8RDA3I Pro.
I have decided the build a new computer (BIOSTAR TForce6100 Socket 754 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro & CPU) which will involve, of course, reinstalling Windows XP, etc.

Thanks again!