Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 cpu cooler question

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
joeyll
Genuine Member

Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 cpu cooler question

Post by joeyll »

Howdy...I've got a question that I'm sure somebody with a good knowledge of installing cpu cooling fans and heatsinks will know what to tell me...I bought this cpu cooler the other day. I've yet to get it but I like to plan ahead. First of all, it says its pre applied with "Pre-applied Arctic Cooling MX-1 Thermal paste" so does that mean I wont need any AT ALL or should i get some to add to it? Also, if you'll take a look at this review
http://www.overclockersonline.com/index ... 371&pnum=3
you'll see that it says "It would not be a bad idea to lap the base as machine marks and scratches are clearly visible. " It has a lighter sitting on it so I assume it has something to do with heating the base??? Could someone explain that to me better? It also says to clean the surface of the cpu before mounting with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth. Is that the best way to clean the cpu and why would you do that anyway? So my main questions are this...Should I get more thermal paste and add it to it...and where? What does Lapping the base of the cooler mean and how do I do that? Lastly, is it best to clean the cpu with rubbing alcohol or is there a better way? Thanks alot guys,

Joey