Triple-core CPUs seeing surge in demand due to abilty to unlock 4th core...

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Triple-core CPUs seeing surge in demand due to abilty to unlock 4th core...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I've actually been hearing that the 3 cores is plenty enough though. However, if this helps AMD out, then good for them.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

very cool...i always wondered if something like this would happen.

i also think they should do more of this type of thing...secret marketing tactics. people eat this stuff up when they think they are getting away with something. so, just design like that from the start and then "leak" a utility out that makes it happen. of course, not sure if the amount of sales generated would be significant...but it is good press for them too.
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

This is the kind of stuff that bothers me. They produce a product and take extra effort to cripple it to sell it for even less than its actual value is. It just fails to meet any kind of logic.
When all else fails, replace the user.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well the logic is that triple core Phenoms are 4 core CPUs that failed to run stably with 4 cores but run fine with 3. So you take a chance enabling the 4th core.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Well the logic is that triple core Phenoms are 4 core CPUs that failed to run stably with 4 cores but run fine with 3. So you take a chance enabling the 4th core.
What he said.

They are doing the same thing they did with speed back in the day. all cores were "fast" but the ones that were unstable were under clocked and sold as cheaper CPUs instead of just being thrown out.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

Well, logic and truth are two different things. There are multiple instances of companies crippling a product and applying additional effort to sell a superior product as inferior for less.

At least in the scenario that FP provides, it has actual intelligence. Whether it is true or not, that would be another thing.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

zyfer...i think with cpu sales, it's not anything like lying or deception. they just rebadge the higher end cpus and sell them as slower ones to fill in market gap. since they can only get so many chips off a wafer, they might as well try to sell them all. if someone won't pay $400 for something, they might pay $300 for a little "slower" product.
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

I was talking about lying or deception. It is more a comment about how economic greed essentially holds back progress.